Aid and Trade
AbstractThe paper surveys the interactions between aid and trade, distinguishing between policies and outcomes as well as between various instruments. It first discusses the theoretical literature, focusing on the causal impact of aid on the recipient’s welfare via the trade channel, before turning to the empirical and institutional literature on the topic. It dentifies the main conclusions that are suggested by the literature and discusses the gaps that need to be filled out in order to get plausible policy recommendations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 6465.
Date of creation: Sep 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brecher, Richard A. & Bhagwati, Jagdish N., 1982. "Immiserizing transfers from abroad," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3-4), pages 353-364, November.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N & Brecher, Richard A & Hatta, Tatsuo, 1985. "The Generalized Theory of Transfers and Welfare: Exogenous (Policy-imposed) and Endogenous (Transfer-induced) Distortions," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(3), pages 697-714, August.
- Lahiri, Sajal & Raimondos-Moller, Pascalis & Wong, Kar-yiu & Woodland, Alan D., 2002. "Optimal foreign aid and tariffs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 79-99, February.
- Wilson,John S. & Mann, Catherine L. & Otsuki, Tsunehiro, 2003. "Trade facilitation and economic development : measuring the impact," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2988, The World Bank.
- Heller, Peter S, 1975. "A Model of Public Fiscal Behavior in Developing Countries: Aid, Investment, and Taxation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 429-45, June.
- J. Bhagwati & R. Brecher, 1978.
"National Welfare in an Open Economy in the Presence of Foreign Owned Factors of Production,"
224, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N. & Brecher, Richard A., 1980. "National welfare in an open economy in the presence of foreign-owned factors of production," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 103-115, February.
- Mak Arvin & Bruce Cater & Saud Choudhry, 2000. "A causality analysis of untied foreign assistance and export performance: the case of Germany," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(5), pages 315-319.
- Lahiri, Sajal & Raimondos, Pascalis, 1995. "Welfare effects of aid under quantitative trade restrictions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 297-315, November.
- Hatzipanayotou, Panos & Michael, Michael S., 1995. "Foreign aid and public goods," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 455-467, August.
- Arvind Panagariya, 2003.
"Aid through Trade: An effective option,"
- J. N. Bhagwati & R. A. Brecher, 1979.
"Foreign Ownership and the Theory of Trade and Welfare,"
249, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Brecher, Richard A & Bhagwati, Jagdish N, 1981. "Foreign Ownership and the Theory of Trade and Welfare," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(3), pages 497-511, June.
- Lipsey, Robert E & Weiss, Merle Yahr, 1984. "Foreign Production and Exports of Individual Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(2), pages 304-08, May.
- Wilson, John S. & Mann, Catherine L. & Otsuki, Tsunehiro, 2004. "Assessing the potential benefit of trade facilitation : A global perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3224, The World Bank.
- Lucia Tajoli, 1999. "The impact of tied aid on trade flows between donor and recipient countries," Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 373-388.
- Yano, M. & Nugent, J.B. & Lay, R.N., 1995.
"Aid, Non-Traded Goods and the Transfer Paradox in Small Countries,"
9515, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Jeffrey B. Nugent & Makoto Yano, 1999. "Aid, Nontraded Goods, and the Transfer Paradox in Small Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 431-449, June.
- van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1985. "Aid, Export Promotion and the Real Exchange Rate: An African Dilemma?," CEPR Discussion Papers 88, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N & Brecher, Richard A & Hatta, Tatsuo, 1983. "The Generalized Theory of Transfers and Welfare: Bilateral Transfers in a Multilateral World," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 606-18, September.
- Susan Prowse, 2002. "The Role of International and National Agencies in Trade-related Capacity Building," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(9), pages 1235-1261, 09.
- Douglas Nelson & Simone Juhasz Silva, .
"Does Aid Cause Trade? Evidence from an Asymmetric Gravity Model,"
08/21, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Simone Juhasz Silva & Douglas Nelson, 2012. "Does Aid Cause Trade? Evidence from an Asymmetric Gravity Model," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(5), pages 545-577, 05.
- Wagner, Don, 2003. "Aid and trade--an empirical study," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 153-173, June.
- repec:rus:hseeco:123712 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roger Svensson, 1996. "Effects of overseas production on home country exports: Evidence based on Swedish multinationals," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 132(2), pages 304-329, September.
- Brenton, Paul, 2003. "Integrating the least developed countries into the world trading system : the current impact of EU preferences under everything but arms," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3018, The World Bank.
- Schweinberger, A G, 1990. "On the Welfare Effects of Tied Aid," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(2), pages 457-62, May.
- Kemp, Murray C & Kojima, Shoichi, 1985. "Tied Aid and the Paradoxes of Donor-Enrichment and Recipient-Impoverishment," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(3), pages 721-29, October.
- Maxwell, S. J. & Singer, H. W., 1979. "Food aid to developing countries: A survey," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 225-246, March.
- Schweinberger, A. G., 2002. "Foreign aid, tariffs and nontraded private or public goods," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 255-275, October.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Mohapatra, Sandeep & Snyder, Donald L., 1998.
"The Dynamic Effects Of U.S. Food Aid,"
Economics Research Institute, ERI Study Papers
28362, Utah State University, Economics Department.
- Christopher S Adam & Stephen A O'Connell, 2004. "Aid versus Trade Revisited: Donor and Recipient Policies in the Presence of Learning-by-Doing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(492), pages 150-173, 01.
- Brecher, Richard A. & Diaz Alejandro, Carlos F., 1977. "Tariffs, foreign capital and immiserizing growth," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 317-322, November.
- Jones, Ronald W, 1970. "The Transfer Problem Revisited," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 37(146), pages 178-84, May.
- Gale, David, 1974. "Exchange equilibrium and coalitions : An example," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 63-66, March.
- Agata Antkiewicz & John Whalley, 2005.
"BRICSAM and the Non-WTO,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1498, CESifo Group Munich.
- Koopmann, Georg & Hoekstra, Ruth, 2010. "Aid for trade and the political economy of trade liberalization," HWWI Research Papers 2-22, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Philipp Hühne & Birgit Meyer & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2013. "Who Benefits from Aid for Trade? Comparing the Effects on Recipient versus Donor Exports," Kiel Working Papers 1852, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Ferro, Esteban & Portugal-Perez, Alberto & Wilson, John S., 2011. "Aid to the services sector : does it affect manufacturing exports ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5728, The World Bank.
- Cipollina, Maria & Salvatici, Luca, 2007. "EU and developing countries: an analysis of preferential margins on agricultural trade flows," Working Papers 7219, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Arne Wiig, 2009. "Aid for trade: A misdirected initiative?," CMI Working Papers 4, CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway.
- Maoz, Yishay & Peled, Dan & Sarid, Assaf, 2009.
"Trade Agreements, Bargaining and Economic Growth,"
17064, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fabian Barthel & Eric Neumayer & Peter Nunnenkamp & Pablo Selaya, 2013. "Competition for Export Markets and the Allocation of Foreign Aid: The Role of Spatial Dependence among Donor Countries," Kiel Working Papers 1875, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Macias, Jose Brambila & Massa, Isabella & Salois, Matthew J., 2010. "The Impact of Financial Crises on Trade Flows: A Developing Country Perspective," 84th Annual Conference, March 29-31, 2010, Edinburgh, Scotland 91831, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Johannes Urpelainen, 2009. "Political-economic problems in trade capacity building," The Review of International Organizations, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 329-359, December.
- Katerina Gradeva & Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso, 2009. "Trade as Aid: The Role of the EBA-Trade Preferences Regime in the Development Strategy," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 197, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Wilson, John S., 2010. "Aid for trade : building on progress today for tomorrow's future," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5361, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.