Inflation, Growth and External Debt: A View of the Landscape
AbstractThis paper reconsiders the relationship between inflation, economic growth and external debt, and discusses various channels through which (a) increased inflation tends to reduce growth and raise foreign indebtedness over time and (b) declining growth tends to amplify both inflation and debt. Based on a simple model of the simultaneous determination of inflation and growth, a non-parametric statistical comparison of the growth record and external indebtedness of high- and low-inflation economies reveals significantly slower growth and greater debts in the high-inflation economies since 1973. The observed growth differential indicates that the real costs of inflation over time may be high for individual countries as well as for the world economy as a whole.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 375.
Date of creation: Feb 1990
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Thorvaldur Gylfason, 1991. "Inflation, Growth, and External Debt: A View of the Landscape," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(3), pages 279-297, 09.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- John F. Helliwell, 1992.
"International Growth Linkages: Evidence from Asia and the OECD,"
NBER Working Papers
4245, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John F. Helliwell, 1994. "International Growth Linkages: Evidence from Asia and the OECD," NBER Chapters, in: Macroeconomic Linkage: Savings, Exchange Rates, and Capital Flows, NBER-EASE Volume 3, pages 7-29 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alexandru MINEA & Patrick VILLIEU, 2010. "Développement Financier, Qualité Institutionnelle Et Croissance : Un Modèle Simple Avec Effets De Seuil," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 32, pages 31-58.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur & Herbertsson, Tryggvi Thor, 2001.
"Does inflation matter for growth?,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 405-428, December.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2008:i:21:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Minea, Alexandru & Villieu, Patrick, 2010. "Financial development, institutional quality and maximizing-growth trade-off in government finance," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 324-335, January.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1993.
"The role of macroeconomic factors in growth,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 485-512, December.
- Alexandru Minea & Christophe Rault & Patrick Villieu, 2008.
"Further Theoretical and Empirical Evidence on Money to Growth Relation,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp909, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Alexandru Minea & Patrick Villieu & Christophe Rault, 2008. "Further theoretical and empirical evidence on money to growth relation," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 5(21), pages 1-7.
- Christophe Rault & Alexandru Minea & Patrick Villieu, 2008. "Further theoretical and empirical evidence on money to growth relation," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 28(13), pages A0.
- Villieu, P. & Minea, Alexandru, 2007. "Long-Run Monetary and Fiscal Policy Trade-Off in an Endogenous Growth Model with Transaction Costs," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, GÃ¶ttingen 2007 23, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Gylfason, T., 1996.
"Output Gains from Economic Stabilization,"
606, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Ahortor, Christian R.K. & Adenutsi, Deodat E., 2009. "Inflation, capital accumulation and economic growth in import-dependent developing countries," MPRA Paper 29353, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2010.
- Minea, Alexandru & Villieu, Patrick, 2009. "Threshold effects in monetary and fiscal policies in a growth model: Assessing the importance of the financial system," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 304-319, June.
- Vinayagathasan, Thanabalasingam, 2013. "Inflation and economic growth: A dynamic panel threshold analysis for Asian economies," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 31-41.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.