Composition of Foreign Direct Investment and Protection of Intellectual Property Rights in Transition Economies
AbstractUsing a unique firm-level dataset this study shows that, contrary to the hopes of transition economies, foreign investors in the region are characterized by low, rather than high, R&D intensity. The results also indicate that investors with higher R&D spending are more likely to engage in non-manufacturing projects than in local production. The empirical analysis links these findings to weak protection of intellectual property rights (IPRs). It shows that weak protection deters foreign investment. This negative effect is especially strong in those technology-intensive sectors that, according to surveys, rely heavily on IPRs. Weak IPR protection also encourages investors to undertake non-manufacturing projects rather than local production. The study contributes to the literature on transition, in which the issue of IPR protection has been neglected. It also adds to the literature on intellectual property rights by providing empirical evidence on the effect of IPR protection on the composition of FDI inflows.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 2228.
Date of creation: Sep 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- O34 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Intellectual Property Rights
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Magnus Blomstrom & Edward N. Wolff, 1994.
"Multinational Corporations and Productivity Convergence in Mexico,"
NBER Working Papers
3141, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Wolff, E.N., 1989. "Multinational Corporations And Productivity Convergence In Mexico," Working Papers 89-28, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Hans-Peter Lankes & A. J. Venables, 1996. "Foreign direct investment in economic transition: the changing pattern of investments," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 4(2), pages 331-347, October.
- Dani Rodrik, 1989.
"Policy Uncertainty and Private Investment in Developing Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
2999, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrik, Dani, 1991. "Policy uncertainty and private investment in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 229-242, October.
- Ari Kokko & Ruben Tansini & Mario Zejan, 1994.
"Productivity spillovers from FDI in the Uruguayan manufacturing sector,"
Documentos de Trabajo (working papers)
0194, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Kokko, Ari & Tansini, Ruben & Zejan, Mario, 1994. "Productivity Spillovers from FDI in the Uruguayan Manufacturing Sector," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 2, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Klaus E Meyer, 1995. "Direct Foreign Investment in Eastern Europe the Role of Labor Costs," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(4), pages 69-88, December.
- Haddad, Mona & Harrison, Ann, 1993. "Are there positive spillovers from direct foreign investment? : Evidence from panel data for Morocco," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 51-74, October.
- Ginarte, Juan C. & Park, Walter G., 1997. "Determinants of patent rights: A cross-national study," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 283-301, October.
- Michael Ferrantino, 1993. "The effect of intellectual property rights on international trade and investment," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 129(2), pages 300-331, June.
- James R. Markusen, 1995. "The Boundaries of Multinational Enterprises and the Theory of International Trade," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 169-189, Spring.
- Schneider, Friedrich & Frey, Bruno S., 1985. "Economic and political determinants of foreign direct investment," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 161-175, February.
- Grubaugh, Stephen G, 1987. "Determinants of Direct Foreign Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(1), pages 149-52, February.
- Bartlomiej Kaminski & Beata Smarzynska, 2001. "Integration into Global Production and Distribution Networks through FDI: The Case of Poland," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 265-288.
- dumludag, devrim, 2007. "An analysis of the determinants of foreign direct investment in Turkey: the role of the institutional context," MPRA Paper 32060, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Feb 2008.
- Alireza Naghavi, 2007.
"Strategic Intellectual Property Rights Policy and North-South Technology Transfer,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 143(1), pages 55-78, April.
- Alireza Naghavi, 2005. "Strategic Intellectual Property Rights Policy and North-South Technology Transfer," Working Papers 2005.18, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Kaminski, Bartlomiej & Smarzynska, Beata K., 2001. "Foreign direct investment and integration into global production and distribution networks : the case of Poland," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2646, The World Bank.
- Smarzynska, Beata & Spartareanu, Mariana, 2004.
"Do foreign investors care about labor market regulations?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3275, The World Bank.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2005. "Do Foreign Investors Care about Labor Market Regulations?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 141(3), pages 375-403, October.
- Smarzynska Javorcik, Beata & Spatareanu, Mariana, 2005. "Do Foreign Investors Care About Labour Market Regulations?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4839, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2005. "Do Foreign Investors Care about Labor Market Regulations?," Working Papers Rutgers University, Newark 2005-005, Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark.
- dumludag, devrim, 2009. "Political Institutions and Foreign Direct Investment Flows into Developing Countries," MPRA Paper 27327, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 02 Feb 2010.
- Smarzynska, Beata K., 2001.
"Pollution havens and foreign direct investment : dirty secret or popular myth?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2673, The World Bank.
- Javorcik Beata Smarzynska & Wei Shang-Jin, 2003. "Pollution Havens and Foreign Direct Investment: Dirty Secret or Popular Myth?," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 3(2), pages 1-34, December.
- Smarzynska Javorcik, Beata & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2001. "Pollution Havens and Foreign Direct Investment: Dirty Secret or Popular Myth?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2966, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beata K. Smarzynska & Shang-Jin Wei, 2001. "Pollution Havens and Foreign Direct Investment: Dirty Secret or Popular Myth?," NBER Working Papers 8465, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Disdier, Anne-Celia & Mayer, Thierry, 2004.
"How different is Eastern Europe? Structure and determinants of location choices by French firms in Eastern and Western Europe,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 280-296, June.
- Anne-Celia Disdier & Thierry Mayer, 2003. "How Different is Eastern Europe? Structure and Determinants of Location Choices by French Firms in Eastern and Western Europe," Working Papers 2003-13, CEPII research center.
- Beata K. Smarzynska & Shang-Jin Wei, 2002. "Corruption and Cross-Border Investment: Firm-Level Evidence," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 494, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Alireza Naghavi, 2003. "Strategic Intellectual Property Protection Policy and North-South Technology Transfer," Working Papers 200313, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Gonzalez-Eiras, Martin & Prado, Jr., Jose Mauricio, 2007. "Determinants of Capital Intensive and R&D Intensive Foreign Direct Investment," Seminar Papers 753, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Smarzynska, Beata K., 2000. "Technological leadership and foreign investors'choice of entry mode," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2314, The World Bank.
- Giulia Faggio, 2007. "Job Destruction, Job Creation and Unemployment in Transition Countries: What Can We Learn?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0798, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ozturk, I., 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment – Growht Nexus: A Review of The Recent Literature," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 4(2), pages 79-98.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.