Foreign Direct Investment – Growht Nexus: A Review of The Recent Literature
AbstractThis paper reviews the literature dealing with the effects of FDI on Growth. Numerous empirical studies have been conducted to investigate whether growth is influenced by FDI. The overall evidence is best characterized as mixed as the results are regarding to the importance of labor costs, openness, investment climate, countries considered (developed vs developing) and fiscal incentives. However, free trade zones, trade regime, the human capital base in the host country, financial market regulations, banking system, infrastructure quality, tax incentives, market size, regional integration arrangements and economic/political stability are very important determinant for FDI that creates a positive impact on overall economic growth. In summary, consensus has been reached among academia and practitioners that FDI tends to have significant effect on economic growth through multiple channels such as capital formation, technology transfer and spillover, human capital (knowledge and skill) enhancement, and so on.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Euro-American Association of Economic Development in its journal International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies .
Volume (Year): 4 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F39 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Other
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mody, Ashoka & Murshid, Antu Panini, 2005.
"Growing up with capital flows,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 249-266, January.
- Joze Mencinger, 2003. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Always Enhance Economic Growth?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 491-508, November.
- Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1997.
"Technology Gap, Competition and Spillovers from Direct Foreign Investment: Evidence from Establishment Data,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
212, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Fredrik Sjoholm, 1999. "Technology gap, competition and spillovers from direct foreign investment: Evidence from establishment data," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 53-73.
- Xiaohui Liu & Peter Burridge & P. J. N. Sinclair, 2002. "Relationships between economic growth, foreign direct investment and trade: evidence from China," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(11), pages 1433-1440.
- N. De Liso & G. Filatrella, 1999. "On technology competition," Working Papers 337, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Marcelo Soto, 2000. "Capital Flows and Growth in Developing Countries: Recent Empirical Evidence," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 160, OECD Publishing.
- Smarzynska Javorcik, Beata, 1999. "Composition of Foreign Direct Investment and Protection of Intellectual Property Rights in Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 2228, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Reisen, Helmut & Soto, Marcelo, 2001. "Which Types of Capital Inflows Foster Developing-Country Growth?," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(1), pages 1-14, Spring.
- Li, Xiaoying & Liu, Xiaming, 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: An Increasingly Endogenous Relationship," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 393-407, March.
- Karin Olofsdotter, 1998. "Foreign direct investment, country capabilities and economic growth," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 134(3), pages 534-547, September.
- Mody, Ashoka & Wang, Fang-Yi, 1997. "Explaining Industrial Growth in Coastal China: Economic Reforms . . . and What Else?," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 11(2), pages 293-325, May.
- Mitze, Timo, 2011.
"Within and Between Panel Cointegration in the German Regional Output-Trade-FDI Nexus,"
Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 21, pages 93-118.
- Timo Mitze, 2011. "Within and Between Panel Cointegration in the German Regional Output-Trade-FDI Nexus," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1258, European Regional Science Association.
- Timo Mitze, 2010. "Within and Between Panel Cointegration in the German Regional Output-Trade-FDI Nexus," Ruhr Economic Papers 0222, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Pritha Mitra, 2011. "Capital Flows to EU New Member States: Does Sector Destination Matter?," IMF Working Papers 11/67, International Monetary Fund.
- Faruk Gürsoy & Hüseyin Kalyoncu, 2012. "Foreign Direct Investment and Growth Relationship in Georgia," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 2(3), pages 267-271.
- Lucia Ramona POPA, 2009. "The Impact of Economic Crisis on Direct Foreign Investments," Economics and Applied Informatics, "Dunarea de Jos" University of Galati, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, issue 2, pages 101-108.
- Chee-keong Choong & Venus khim-sen Liew, 2009. "Impact of foreign direct investment volatility on economic growth of asean-5 countries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 1829-1841.
- Popa Lucia Ramona, 2009. "The Effects Of Foreign Investments On Romanian Economy," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 236-240, May.
- Acaravci, Ali & Ozturk, Ilhan, 2012. "Foreign Direct Investment, Export and Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence from New EU Countries," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(2), pages 52-67, June.
- Piteli, Eleni E.N., 2009. "Foreign Direct Investment in Developed Economies: A Comparison between European and non - European Countries," Papers DYNREG44, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Petris Sorina, 2012. "Capital Flows And Their Sectoral Destinations," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 825-829, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.