Trade, Foreign Direct Investment, and Growth: Evidence from Transition Economies
AbstractUsing a fixed effects panel data approach, this paper empirically examines the effects of trade and foreign direct investment (FDI) on growth of per capita real GDP in 13 transition economies of Central and Eastern Europe, and the Baltic region from 1991 to 2005. A significant positive effect of trade on growth is a robust result for transition economies of this region. In addition, domestic investment appears to be an important determinant of growth. In general, FDI does not have any significant impact on growth in these transition economies. However, when we control for the effects of domestic investment and trade on FDI, it appears to be a significant determinant of growth for the period after 1995. Comparative Economic Studies (2009) 51, 20–50. doi:10.1057/ces.2008.20
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Comparative Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 51 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Other versions of this item:
- Hiranya K. Nath, 2005. "Trade, Foreign Direct Investment and Growth: Evidence from Transition Economies," Working Papers 0504, Sam Houston State University, Department of Economics and International Business.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jan Babecky & Tomas Havranek, 2014. "Structural reforms and growth in transition," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 22(1), pages 13-42, 01.
- Jan Babecky & Tomas Havranek, 2013.
"Structural Reforms and Growth in Transition: A Meta-Analysis,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp1057, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jan Babecky & Tomas Havranek, 2013. "Structural Reforms and Growth in Transition: A Meta-Analysis," Working Papers IES 2013/14, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Oct 2013.
- Jan Babecky & Tomas Havranek, 2013. "Structural Reforms and Economic Growth: A Meta-Analysis," Working Papers 2013/08, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Elvira Sapienza, 2009. "FDI and Growth in Central and Southern Eastern Europe," Quaderni DSEMS 12-2009, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
- Adams, Samuel, 2009. "Foreign Direct investment, domestic investment, and economic growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 939-949, November.
- Iwasaki, Ichiro & Tokunaga, Masahiro, 2013. "Macroecnomic Impacts of FDI in Transition Economies: A Meta-Study," RRC Working Paper Series 39, Russian Research Center, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Clark Don P. & Highfill Jannett & de Oliveira Campino Jonas & Rehman Scheherazade S., 2011. "FDI, Technology Spillovers, Growth, and Income Inequality: A Selective Survey," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 11(2), pages 1-44, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.