Foreign Direct Investment, Financial Development, and Economic Growth: Evidence from the Arab Countries
AbstractThe emerging literature on foreign direct investment (FDI) now stipulates that FDI’s positive impact on growth depends on absorptive capacities. Prime among these capacities is financial development. The paper provides support to this thesis in the context of the Arab countries whose financial system is predominantly bank-based. It finds that Arab FDI will have a favorable effect on growth if interacted with financial variables at a given threshold level of development. It also finds that in reform countries FDI could Granger cause financial development. The conclusions that emerge from the paper are that domestic financial reforms should precede policies promoting FDI, investment measures should enhance the environment for all investors—foreign and domestic alike—and liberal commercial policies should be designed as initial measures to attract FDI.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Review of Middle East Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 1 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maria Cipollina & Giorgia Giovannetti & Filomena Pietrovito & Alberto Franco Pozzolo, 2011.
"FDI and growth: What cross-country industry data say,"
Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers
51, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Maria Cipollina & Giorgia Giovannetti & Filomena Pietrovito & Alberto F. Pozzolo, 2012. "FDI and Growth: What Cross-country Industry Data Say," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(11), pages 1599-1629, November.
- Cipollina, Maria & Giovannetti, Giorgia & Pietrovito, Filomena & Pozzolo, Alberto Franco, 2011. "FDI and growth: what cross-country industry data say," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp11060, University of Molise, Dept. SEGeS.
- Maria Cipollina & Giorgia Giovannetti & Filomena Pietrovito & Alberto Franco Pozzolo, 2011. "FDI and Growth: What Cross-Country Industry Data Say," Development Working Papers 313, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Dalila NICET-CHENAF (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2009. "FDI and growth: A new look at a still puzzling issue," Cahiers du GREThA 2009-13, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Mohammad, Mafizur Rahman & Abdul, Farooq, 2012. "Financial Development, International Trade and Economic Growth in Australia:New Evidence from Multivariate Framework Analysis," MPRA Paper 42023, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 17 Oct 2012.
- Zaiter Lahimer, Mahjouba, 2011. "L’impact des entrées de capitaux privés sur la croissance économique dans les pays en développement," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine urn:hdl:123456789/7670, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Tomáš Havránek & Zuzana Iršová, 2010. "Meta-Analysis of Intra-Industry FDI Spillovers: Updated Evidence," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 60(2), pages 151-174, May.
- Marques, Luís Miguel & Fuinhas, José Alberto & Marques, António Cardoso, 2012.
"Interação entre o mercado acionista e o crescimento económico: Uma apreciação do caso português (1993-2010)
[Interaction between the stock market and economic growth: An assessment of the Por," MPRA Paper 39808, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & mohammad, Mafizur Rahman, 2011. "The dynamic of financial development, imports, foreign direct investment and economic growth: cointegration and causality analysis in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 32181, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Jul 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.