Vertical Governance between Airlines and Airports – A Transaction Cost Analysis
AbstractWith airport privatization and infrastructure expansion projects taking place in the liberalized European air transport market, airport and airline companies are critically reevaluating their vertical governance structures. This paper analyzes the comparative efficiency of vertical governance structures in the airport-airline supply relationship. Using transaction cost economics as the lens of analysis, we develop propositions and present supporting qualitative case studies. Our propositions state that hub airlines and hub airports seek specialized governance structures, while value-based carriers and base airports enter into long-term contracts supported by complementary safeguards. These privately crafted governance modes complement or even replace external regulation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Network Industries and Infrastructure (CNI) in its series Working Papers with number 2006-04.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Review of Network Economics, 2006, Vol 5, Issue 4, p. 386-412
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Secretariat H 33, Strasse des 17. Juni 135, D-10623 Berlin
Phone: ++49 / (0)30 / 314 - 25 048
Fax: ++49 / (0)30 / 314 - 26 934
Web page: http://www.cni.tu-berlin.de
More information through EDIRC
vertical integration; transaction cost; airlines; airports; competition;
Other versions of this item:
- Fuhr Johannes & Beckers Thorsten, 2006. "Vertical Governance between Airlines and Airports - A Transaction Cost Analysis," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 5(4), pages 1-27, December.
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- L93 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Air Transportation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2007-01-14 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-REG-2007-01-14 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Schmidberger, Stephan & Bals, Lydia & Hartmann, Evi & Jahns, Christopher, 2009. "Ground handling services at European hub airports: Development of a performance measurement system for benchmarking," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 104-116, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabian Kirsch) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Fabian Kirsch to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.