The Euro Effects on the Firm and Product-Level Trade Margins: Evidence from France
AbstractWe investigate the effects of the euro on French exporters. We build three margins corresponding to the decision of exporting, the number of products exported to each destination, and the average value of exports by product, that compose the expected value of exports of each individual firm on a market. Estimation results that rely on the full sample of exporters suggest that the euro adoption had a positive effect on the number of products exported by each individual firm, and no effect on the decision to export and the average value of exports by product. Though, composition effects are in action: the effect on the decision of exporting, and on the average value of exports by products, is positive - but weakly significant - for firms with more than 20 employees. Finally, we find that euro had no effect on least productive firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CEPII research center in its series Working Papers with number 2008-21.
Date of creation: Oct 2008
Date of revision:
Trade; Export margins; Euro; France;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2008-11-18 (European Economics)
- NEP-INT-2008-11-18 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vincent Delbecque & Isabelle Méjean & Lise Patureau, 2008. "Social Competition and Firms' Location Choices," Working Papers 2008-12, CEPII research center.
- Laura Hering & Sandra Poncet, 2009.
"The impact of economic geography on wages: Disentangling the channels of influence,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Hering, Laura & Poncet, Sandra, 2009. "The impact of economic geography on wages: Disentangling the channels of influence," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-14, March.
- Laura Hering & Sandra Poncet, 2008. "The Impact of Economic Geography on Wages: Disentangling the Channels of Influence," Working Papers 2008-20, CEPII research center.
- Matthieu Crozet & Pamina Koenig & Vincent Rebeyrol, 2008. "Exporting to Insecure Markets: a Firm-Level Analysis," Working Papers 2008-13, CEPII research center.
- J.M.C. Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2010.
"Currency unions in prospect and retrospect,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
28738, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- J. M. C. Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2010. "Currency Unions in Prospect and Retrospect," CEP Discussion Papers dp0986, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Santos Silva, J.M.C & Tenreyro, Silvana, 2010. "Currency Unions in Prospect and Retrospect," CEPR Discussion Papers 7824, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Berman, Nicolas & Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry, 2009.
"How do different exporters react to exchange rate changes? Theory, empirics and aggregate implications,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7493, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nicolas Berman & Philippe Martin & Thierry Mayer, 2009. "How do Different Exporters React to Exchange Rate Changes? Theory, Empirics and Aggregate Implications," Working Papers 2009-32, CEPII research center.
- Thierry Mayer & Philippe Martin & Nicolas Berman, 2010. "How do different exporters react to exchange rate changes? Theory, empirics and aggregate implications," 2010 Meeting Papers 1338, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Nicolas Berman & Thierry Mayer & Philippe Martin, 2009. "How do different exporters react to exchange rate changes? Theory, empirics and aggregate implications," Sciences Po publications 7493, Sciences Po.
- Lionel Fontagné & Matthieu Crozet, 2010. "L'internationalisation des entreprises : une analyse microéconomique de la mondialisation," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 435(1), pages 3-12.
- Philippe Andrade, 2010.
"Competition and Pass-through on international markets: Firm-level evidence from VAT shocks,"
2010 Meeting Papers
820, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bénassy-Quéré, Agnès & Carré, Martine & Andrade, Philippe, 2010. "Competition and pass-through on international markets: Firm-level evidence from VAT shocks," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11165, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.