Institutions and Cyclical Properties of Macroeconomic Policies
AbstractStrong swings in business cycle conditions in industrial and emerging market economies (EMEs) alike have renewed the debate on effectiveness of stabilization policies. Traditionally it has been argued that EMEs are unable to pursue counter-cyclical monetary and fiscal policies due to financial imperfections and unfavorable political-economy equilibriums. However, we claim that EMEs with institutional features similar to those of industrial countries may be able to conduct counter-cyclical policies. Using a sample of 20 EMEs and annual data for the 1990-2003 period, we find that the level of institutional quality plays a key role in the ability of these economies to conduct stabilizing macroeconomic policies. We show that EMEs with strong institutions are able to implement counter-cyclical macroeconomic policies —reflected in extended monetary-policy (Taylor) and fiscal-policy rules.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Working Papers Central Bank of Chile with number 285.
Date of creation: Dec 2004
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-12-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-MAC-2004-12-20 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-POL-2004-12-20 (Positive Political Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Enisse Kharroubi & Philippe Aghion, 2008. "Cyclical Macro Policy and Industry Growth: The effect of counter-cyclical fiscal policy," 2008 Meeting Papers 837, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Balazs Egert, 2012.
"Fiscal Policy Reaction to the Cycle in the OECD: Pro- or Counter-Cyclical?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3777, CESifo Group Munich.
- Balázs Égert, 2012. "Fiscal Policy Reaction to the Cycle in the OECD: Pro- or Counter-cyclical?," EconomiX Working Papers 2012-12, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Balázs Égert, 2010. "Fiscal Policy Reaction to the Cycle in the OECD: Pro- or Counter-cyclical?," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 763, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.