Integrated Reforms of Indirect Taxes in the Presence of Pollution
AbstractThe literature on indirect tax reforms in pollution-ridden economies is quite limited. This paper, using a model of a small open economy with production and consumption generated pollution, considers the welfare implications of tax reforms within an integrated structure of consumption and production taxes. Specifically, both in the presence and absence of a binding government revenue constraint, we derive sufficient conditions for welfare improvement in the case where we implement (i) reforms in either production or consumption taxes, (ii) reforms in both consumption and production taxes and (iii) uniform changes in consumption taxes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 2276.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
indirect tax reforms; production and consumption generated pollution; welfare; government tax revenues;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hatta, Tatsuo, 1977. "A Recommendation for a Better Tariff Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(8), pages 1859-69, November.
- John Beghin & David Roland-Holst & Dominique van der Mensbrugghe, 1997.
"Trade and Pollution Linkages: Piecemeal Reform and Optimal Intervention,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(2), pages 442-55, May.
- John Beghin & David Roland-Holst & Dominique van der Mensbrugghe, 1994. "Trade and Pollution Linkages: Piecemeal Reform and Optimal Intervention," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 99, OECD Publishing.
- Sajal Lahiri & Anjum Nasim, 2005. "Commercial Policy Reform in Pakistan: Opening up the Economy under Revenue Constraints," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 12(6), pages 723-739, November.
- Hatzipanayotou, Panos & Michael, Michael S. & Miller, Stephen M., 1994. "Win-win indirect tax reform : A modest proposal," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 147-151.
- Beghin, John C. & Dessus, Sebastien, 1999.
"Double Dividend With Trade Distortions: Analytical Results And Evidence From Chile,"
1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN
21509, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- John C. Beghin & Sebastien Dessus, 1999. "Double Dividend with Trade Distortions: Analytical Results and Evidence from Chile," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 99-wp225, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- John C. Beghin & Sebastien Dessus, 1999. "Double Dividend with Trade Distortions: Analytical Results and Evidence from Chile," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 99-wp225, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Kayalica M. Ozgur & Kayalica Olgay, 2005. "Transboundary Pollution From Consumption In A Reciprocal Dumping Model," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-16, June.
- A. Bovenberg, 1999. "Green Tax Reforms and the Double Dividend: an Updated Reader's Guide," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 421-443, August.
- Panos Hatzipanayotou & Sajal Lahiri & Michael S. Michael, 2005. "Reforms of Environmental Policies in the Presence of Cross-border Pollution and Public-Private Clean-up," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 107(2), pages 315-333, 06.
- Keen, Michael & Ligthart, Jenny E., 2002.
"Coordinating tariff reduction and domestic tax reform,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 489-507, March.
- Michael Keen & Johanna Elisabeth Ligthart, 1999. "Coordinating Tariff Reduction and Domestic Tax Reform," IMF Working Papers 99/93, International Monetary Fund.
- Hatta, Tatsuo, 1986. "Welfare effects of changing commodity tax rates toward uniformity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 99-112, February.
- Robin Boadway & Motohiro Sato, 2009.
"Optimal Tax Design and Enforcement with an Informal Sector,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy,
American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Robin Boadway & Motohiro Sato, 2008. "Optimal Tax Design and Enforcement with an Informal Sector," Working Papers 1168, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- M. Shahe Emran & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2002.
"On Selective Indirect Tax Reform in Developing Countries,"
- Emran, M. Shahe & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2005. "On selective indirect tax reform in developing countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(4), pages 599-623, April.
- Copeland Brian R., 1994. "International Trade and the Environment: Policy Reform in a Polluted Small Open Economy," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 44-65, January.
- Diewert, W E & Turunen-Red, A H & Woodland, A D, 1989. "Productivity- and Pareto-Improving Changes in Taxes and Tariffs," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 199-215, April.
- Michael, Michael S. & Hatzipanayotou, Panos & Miller, Stephen M., 1993. "Integrated reforms of tariffs and consumption taxes," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 417-428, October.
- World Bank, 2002. "World Development Indicators 2002," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13921, February.
- Arja H. Turunen-Red & Alan D. Woodland, 2004. "Multilateral Reforms of Trade and Environmental Policy," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 321-336, 08.
- Emran, M. Shahe, 2005. "Revenue-increasing and welfare-enhancing reform of taxes on exports," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 277-292, June.
- Takumi Naito, 2005. "Revenue-Neutral Environmental Tariff Reform, Growth, and Welfare," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(5), pages 985-996, November.
- Hatta, Tatsuo, 1977. "A Theory of Piecemeal Policy Recommendations," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Charles Perrings & Alberto Ansuategi, 2000. "Sustainability, growth and development," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(1/2), pages 19-54, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.