Trade and Tax Reforms in a Cash-in-Advance Economy
AbstractWe examine the effects of both tariff-only and coordinated trade-tax reforms on market access, government revenue and welfare for a small monetary economy, under the assumption that a certain fraction of purchases of each good must be ?nanced with cash held in advance. We show that if the cash requirement ratio in the exportable sector is greater than that in the importable then, contrary to previous results: i) a uniform radial reduction of tariffs has ambiguous effects on both welfare and market access, ii) tariff and consumption tax reforms that leave consumer prices unchanged may be more efficient in improving market access and welfare than a reform that involves only tariffs and iii) export and production tax reforms that keep producer prices unchanged may be welfare deteriorating.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Macedonia in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 2010_07.
Date of creation: Apr 2010
Date of revision: Apr 2010
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uom.gr/index.php?tmima=3
Tariff and Tax Reforms; Export and Production Tax Reform; Cash-in-Advance Constraint.;
Other versions of this item:
- Theodore Palivos & Nikos Tsakiris, 2011. "Trade and Tax Reforms in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 1014-1032, April.
- Theodore Palivos & Nikos Tsakiris, 2009. "Trade and Tax Reforms in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 1-2009, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- E10 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-02 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chi-Chur Chao & Chong Yip, 2001. "Non-traded goods and optimal trade policy in a cash-in-advance economy," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 23-37.
- Michael Keen & Johanna Elisabeth Ligthart, 1999.
"Coordinating Tariff Reduction and Domestic Tax Reform,"
IMF Working Papers
99/93, International Monetary Fund.
- Keen, Michael & Ligthart, Jenny E., 2002. "Coordinating tariff reduction and domestic tax reform," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 489-507, March.
- Hatta, Tatsuo, 1977. "A Theory of Piecemeal Policy Recommendations," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Rod Falvey & Udo Kreickemeier, .
"Tariff Reforms with Rigid Wages,"
07/29, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Hatta, Tatsuo, 1977. "A Recommendation for a Better Tariff Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(8), pages 1859-69, November.
- M. Shahe Emran & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2002.
"On Selective Indirect Tax Reform in Developing Countries,"
- Emran, M. Shahe & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2005. "On selective indirect tax reform in developing countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(4), pages 599-623, April.
- Hatzipanayotou, Panos & Michael, Michael S. & Miller, Stephen M., 1994. "Win-win indirect tax reform : A modest proposal," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 147-151.
- Chi-Chur Chao & Chong Yip, 2000. "Urban unemployment and optimal trade policy in a cash-in-advance economy," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 71(1), pages 59-77, February.
- Emran, M. Shahe, 2005. "Revenue-increasing and welfare-enhancing reform of taxes on exports," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 277-292, June.
- Chao, Chi-Chur & Yu, Eden S. H., 1999. "Shadow prices and trade restrictions in a monetary economy," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 755-764.
- Theodore Palivos & Chong K. Yip, 1997.
"The Gains from Trade for a Monetary Economy Once Again,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(1), pages 208-23, February.
- Theodore, Palivos & Chong K. Yip, 1996. "The Gains from Trade for a Monetary Economy Once Again," Departmental Working Papers _071, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Chin, Chi-Ting & Guo, Jang-Ting & Lai, Ching-Chong, 2009. "Macroeconomic (in)stability under real interest rate targeting," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1631-1638, September.
- Theodore Palivos & Chong K. Yip, 2006.
"Optimal Intervention Policies for a Small Monetary Economy,"
Departmental Working Papers
_178, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Theodore Palivos & Chong Yip, 2006. "Optimal Intervention Policies for a Small Monetary Economy," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 88(1), pages 69-85, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Theodore Panagiotidis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.