A trade and domestic tax reform in imperfectly competitive markets
AbstractThis paper develops a model of an export oligopoly to examine the welfare effects of an export tax reduction and a production tax increase that makes the foreign country no-worse off. Whether or not entry into the oligopolistic industry is free, the proposed policy reform is shown to reduce welfare of the policy-implementing country and the world. Relating this result to the perfectly competitive case, we closely discuss its implications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, Kwansei Gakuin University in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 099.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2013
Date of revision: Jan 2013
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1-155 Uegahara Ichiban-cho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 662-8501
Web page: http://www-econ.kwansei.ac.jp/~econ/index_e.html
More information through EDIRC
welfare; export tax; production tax; restricted entry; free entry;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-23 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scott McCracken & Frank Staehler, 2007.
"Economic integration and the choice of commodity tax base with endogenous market structures,"
0701, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2007.
- Scott McCracken & Frank Stähler, 2010. "Economic integration and the choice of commodity tax base with endogenous market structures," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 91-113, April.
- Jota Ishikawa & Hiroshi Mukunoki, 2008. "Effects of Multilateral Trade Liberalization on Prices," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 37-44, 02.
- Jota Ishikawa & Hiroshi Mukunoki, 2008. "Spillover Effects Of Economic Integration In A Three-Country Model," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 211-227.
- Jota Ishikawa & Tomohiro Kuroda, 2006.
"How Effective are Emission Taxes in an Open Economy?,"
06007, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Jota Ishikawa & Tomohiro Kuroda, 2007. "How Effective are Emissions Taxes in an Open Economy?," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 359-368, 05.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1986.
"Trade Policy with Increasing Returns and Imperfect Competition: Contradictory Results from Competing Assumptions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
120, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1988. "Trade policy with increasing returns and imperfect competition : Contradictory results from competing assumptions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 299-316, May.
- M. Shahe Emran & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2002.
"On Selective Indirect Tax Reform in Developing Countries,"
- Emran, M. Shahe & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2005. "On selective indirect tax reform in developing countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(4), pages 599-623, April.
- Bagwell, Kyle & Staiger, Robert W., 2012.
"The economics of trade agreements in the linear Cournot delocation model,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 32-46.
- Kyle Bagwell & Robert W. Staiger, 2009. "The Economics of Trade Agreements in the Linear Cournot Delocation Model," NBER Working Papers 15492, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olga Solleder, 2013. "Trade Effects of Export Taxes," IHEID Working Papers 08-2013, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised 08 Apr 2013.
- Andreas HaufLer & Guttorm Schjelderup & Frank Stähler, 2005. "Barriers to Trade and Imperfect Competition: The Choice of Commodity Tax Base," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 281-300, May.
- Emran, M. Shahe, 2005. "Revenue-increasing and welfare-enhancing reform of taxes on exports," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 277-292, June.
- "Ishikawa, Jota", 2000.
"Foreign Monopoly and Trade Policy under Segmented and Integrated Markets,"
Hitotsubashi University, vol. 51(4), pages 321-336, January.
- Ishikawa, Jota, 1998. "Foreign Monopoly and Trade Policy under Segmented and Integrated Markets," Discussion Papers 1998-03, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Jota Ishikawa, 2004. "From Segmented Markets to Integrated Markets: an Analysis of Economic Integration and Antidumping Legislation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 706-722, 09.
- Hatta, Tatsuo, 1977. "A Theory of Piecemeal Policy Recommendations," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Hatzipanayotou, Panos & Michael, Michael S. & Miller, Stephen M., 1994. "Win-win indirect tax reform : A modest proposal," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 147-151.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Toshihiro Okada).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.