Productivity Dynamics: U.S. Manufacturing Plants, 1972-1986
AbstractThis paper presents an analysis of the dynamics of total factor productivity measures for large plants in SICs 35, 36, and 38. Several TFP measures, derived from production functions and Solow type residuals, are computed and their behavior over time is compared, using various non-parametric tools. Aggregate TFP, which has grown substantially over the time period, is compared with average plant level TFP, which has declined or remained flat. Using transition matrices, the persistence of plant productivity is examined, and it is shown how the transition probabilities vary by industry, plant age, and other characteristics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau in its series Working Papers with number 92-1.
Date of creation: Feb 1992
Date of revision:
Total Factor Productivity; Transition Dynamics; Large Manufacturing Plants;
Other versions of this item:
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Phoebus J. Dhrymes, 1994. "Productivity dynamics: U.S. manufacturing plants, 1972-1986," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-1, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bartelsman, E.J. & Dhrymes, P.J., 1991. "Productivity Dynamics: US Manufacturing Plants, 1972-1986," Discussion Papers 1991_50, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Álvaro Escribano & Rodolfo Stucchi, 2011.
"Catching up in total factor productivity through the business cycle: Evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms,"
2011-10, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Alvaro Escribano & Rodolfo Stucchi, 2008. "Catching up in total factor productivity through the business cycle : evidence from Spanish manufacturing surveys," Economics Working Papers we085125, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Shutao Cao, 2008. "A Model of Costly Capital Reallocation and Aggregate Productivity," Working Papers 08-38, Bank of Canada.
- Mahmut Yasar & Roderick Rejesus & Ilhami Mintemur, 2004. "Is there evidence of creative destruction in the Turkish manufacturing sector? Lessons from a cross-industry analysis of aggregate productivity growth," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(17), pages 1937-1945.
- Shuyun May Li, 2008. "Employment Flows with Endogenous Financing Constraints," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1045, The University of Melbourne.
- Sang V Nguyen & Robert H Mcguckin, 1995. "Exploring The Role Of Acquisition In The Performance Of Firms: Is The "Firm" The Right Unit Of Analysis?," Working Papers 95-13, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fariha Kamal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.