Handle with care! Post-crisis growth in the EU
AbstractIn this policy brief, Jean Pisani-Ferry and Bruno van Pottelsberghe show that although the crisis originated in the US, Europeâ??s outlook has deteriorated faster and more sharply leading to the worst crisis observed during the post-war era. However, the length of the crisis matters at least as much at its depth, and policymakers should not overlook the medium term consequences of their actions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bruegel in its series Policy Briefs with number 301.
Date of creation: Apr 2009
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2010-02-20 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-EUR-2010-02-20 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-INO-2010-02-20 (Innovation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruno van Pottelsberghe, 2008.
"Europe's R&D: missing the wrong targets?,"
- Bruno Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, 2008. "Europe's R&D: Missing the Wrong Targets?," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 43(4), pages 220-225, July.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & AndrÃ© Sapir & Jakob von WeizsÃ¤cker, 2008. "A European recovery programme," Policy Briefs 239, Bruegel.
- JÃ¼rgen von Hagen & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Jakob von WeizsÃ¤cker, 2009. "A European Exit Strategy," Policy Briefs 328, Bruegel.
- Stefano Sacchi & Federico Pancaldi & Claudia Arisi, 2011. "The Economic Crisis as a Trigger of Convergence? Short-time work in Italy, Germany and Austria," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 199, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Adam Posen & Nicolas VÃ©ron, 2009.
"A solution for Europe's banking problem,"
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Benoît Coeuré & Pierre Jacquet & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2009.
"The Crisis: Policy Lessons and Policy Challenges,"
2009-28, CEPII research center.
- Daniel Kienzler & Kai Daniel Schmid, 2013.
"Monetary Policy and Hysteresis in Potential Output,"
IMK Working Paper
116-2013, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Kienzler, Daniel & Schmid, Kai Daniel, 2013. "Monetary policy and hysteresis in potential output," University of Tuebingen Working Papers in Economics and Finance 55, University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences.
- Berg, Andrew & Papageorgiou, Chris & Pattillo, Catherine & Spatafora, Nicola, 2011.
"The end of an era? The medium- and long-term effects of the global crisis on growth in low-income countries,"
IAMO Forum 2011: Will the "BRICs Decade" Continue? â Prospects for Trade and Growth
25, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Chris Papageorgiou & Andrew Berg & Catherine A. Pattillo & Nicola Spatafora, 2010. "The End of an Era? The Medium- and Long-term Effects of the Global Crisis on Growth in Low-Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 10/205, International Monetary Fund.
- Abdul Abiad & Petya Koeva Brooks & Irina Tytell & Daniel Leigh & Ravi Balakrishnan, 2009. "Whatâ€™s the Damage? Medium-term Output Dynamics After Banking Crises," IMF Working Papers 09/245, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruegel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.