Identification and Frequency Domain QML Estimation of Linearized DSGE Models
AbstractThis paper considers issues related to identification, inference and computation in linearized Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium (DSGE) models. We first provide a necessary and su¢ cient condition for the local identification of the structural parameters based on the (first and) second order properties of the process. The condition allows for arbitrary relations be- tween the number of observed endogenous variables and structural shocks and is simple to verify. The extensions, including identification through a subset of frequencies, partial iden- tification, conditional identification and identification under general nonlinear constraints, are also studied. When lack of identification is detected, the method can be further used to trace out non-identification curves. For estimation, restricting our attention to nonsingular systems, we consider a frequency domain quasi-maximum likelihood (FQML) estimator and present its asymptotic properties. The limiting distribution of the estimator can be di¤erent from results in the related literature due to the structure of the DSGE model. Finally, we discuss a quasi- Bayesian procedure for estimation and inference. The procedure can be used to incorporate relevant prior distributions and is computationally attractive.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Boston University - Department of Economics in its series Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series with number WP2010-053.
Length: 55 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Infinite dimensional mapping; Local identification; MCMC; Non-identification curve; Rank condition; Spectral domain;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
- E1 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agostino Consolo & Carlo A. Favero & Alessia Paccagnini, 2007.
"On the Statistical Identification of DSGE Models,"
324, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Altug, Sumru, 1989.
"Time-to-Build and Aggregate Fluctuations: Some New Evidence,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(4), pages 889-920, November.
- Sumru Altug, 1986. "Time to build and aggregate fluctuations: some new evidence," Working Papers 277, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Chernozhukov, Victor & Hong, Han, 2003. "An MCMC approach to classical estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 293-346, August.
- Iskrev, Nikolay, 2010.
"Local identification in DSGE models,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 189-202, March.
- Christiano, Lawrence J. & Vigfusson, Robert J., 2003.
"Maximum likelihood in the frequency domain: the importance of time-to-plan,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 789-815, May.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Robert J. Vigfusson, 2001. "Maximum likelihood in the frequency domain: the importance of time-to-plan," Working Paper 0106, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Berkowitz, Jeremy, 2001. "Generalized spectral estimation of the consumption-based asset pricing model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 269-288, September.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Sargent, Thomas J., 1993. "Seasonality and approximation errors in rational expectations models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1-2), pages 21-55.
- Janet Koech, 2011. "Hyperinflation in Zimbabwe," Annual Report, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, pages 2-12.
- Zhongjun Qu, 2011. "Inference and Speci?cation Testing in DSGE Models with Possible Weak Identification," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2011-058, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Zhongjun Qu & Denis Tkachenko, 2011. "Frequency Domain Analysis of Medium Scale DSGE Models with Application to Smets and Wouters (2007)," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2011-060, Boston University - Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Sullivan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.