Local Power of Andrews and Ploberger Tests Against Nearly Integrated, Nearly White Noise Process
AbstractWe find that the Andrews and Ploberger’s (1996) tests have unit local power against the nearly integrated, nearly white noise process (ref. Nabeya and Perron (1994)). Therefore, compared with the stationary local alternatives, higher power is expected when testing against such process. Monte Carlo simulation confirms our results. We apply the tests to monthly SP500 stock returns and strongly reject the martingale difference hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Boston University - Department of Economics in its series Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series with number WP2006-027.
Length: 08 pages
Date of creation: May 2006
Date of revision:
ARMA(1; 1); local power; Nearly integrated; nearly white noise process; stock returns;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nabeya, Seiji & Perron, Pierre, 1994.
"Local asymptotic distribution related to the AR(1) model with dependent errors,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 229-264, June.
- Nabeya, S. & Perron, P., 1991. "Local Asymtotic Distributions Related to the AR(1) MOdel with Dependent Errors," Papers 362, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, P. & Ng, S., 1994.
"Useful Modifications to Some Unit Root Tests with Dependent Errors and Their Local Asymptotic Properties,"
Cahiers de recherche
9427, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Perron, Pierre & Ng, Serena, 1996. "Useful Modifications to Some Unit Root Tests with Dependent Errors and Their Local Asymptotic Properties," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(3), pages 435-63, July.
- Perron, P. & Ng, S., 1994. "Useful Modifications to Some Unit Root Tests with Dependent Errors and Their Local Asymptotic Properties," Cahiers de recherche 9427, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1994. "Testing for Serial Correlation Against an ARMA(1,1) Process," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1077, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Godfrey, Leslie G, 1978. "Testing for Higher Order Serial Correlation in Regression Equations When the Regressors Include Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1303-10, November.
- King, Maxwell L & McAleer, Michael, 1987. "Further Results on Testing AR (1) against MA (1) Disturbances in the Linear Regression Model," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(4), pages 649-63, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Sullivan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.