Competition and Efficiencyin health care: an analysis of the Italian case
AbstractIn this paper we look at the Italian NationalHealth System as a case study, in order to investigate whethercompetition exerts positive effects on the efficiency of hospitals.Using the DEA technique we measure the efficiency of Italianhospital production; secondly, we take a regression analysisapproach to analyse its determinants. A general conclusion stemmingout of the analysis is that competition is not a value per seand that its effects on hospitals' performance are affected bythe rules governing the health system. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna in its series Working Papers with number 354.
Date of creation: Jul 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Roberto Cellini & Giacomo Pignataro & Ilde Rizzo, 2000. "Competition and Efficiency in Health Care: An Analysis of the Italian Case," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 503-519, August.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zwanziger, Jack & Melnick, Glenn A., 1988. "The effects of hospital competition and the Medicare PPS program on hospital cost behavior in California," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 301-320, December.
- Islam, Nazrul, 1995. "Growth Empirics: A Panel Data Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 110(4), pages 1127-70, November.
- U.-G. Gerdtham & M. Löthgren & M. Tambour & C. Rehnberg, 1999.
"Internal markets and health care efficiency: a multiple-output stochastic frontier analysis,"
Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 151-164.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Löthgren, Mickael & Tambour, Magnus & Rehnberg, Clas, 1998. "Internal Markets and Health Care Efficiency: A Multiple-Output Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance, Stockholm School of Economics 222, Stockholm School of Economics.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- David W. Kalisch & Tetsuya Aman & Libbie A. Buchele, 1998. "Social and Health Policies in OECD Countries: A Survey of Current Programmes and Recent Developments," OECD Labour Market and Social Policy Occasional Papers, OECD Publishing 33, OECD Publishing.
- Eulália Dalmau-Atarrodona & Jaume Puig-Junoy, 1998. "Market Structure and Hospital Efficiency: Evaluating Potential Effects of Deregulation in a National Health Service," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 447-466, August.
- James F. Burgess, Jr. & Paul W. Wilson, 1996. "Hospital Ownership and Technical Inefficiency," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 42(1), pages 110-123, January.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Löthgren, Mickael, 1998. "Health Care System Effects on Cost Efficiency in the OECD Countries," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance, Stockholm School of Economics 247, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Ancarani, A. & Di Mauro, C. & Giammanco, M.D., 2009. "The impact of managerial and organizational aspects on hospital wards' efficiency: Evidence from a case study," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 194(1), pages 280-293, April.
- Bordignon, Massimo & Turati, Gilberto, 2009. "Bailing out expectations and public health expenditure," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 305-321, March.
- Elenka Brenna & Federico Spandonaro, 2014. "Does federalism induce patients’ mobility across regions? Evidence from the Italian experience," DISCE - Working Papers del Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, UniversitÃ Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE) def9, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Chew Lian Chua & Alfons Palangkaraya & Jongsay Yong, 2011.
"Hospital Competition, Technical Efficiency and Quality,"
The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 87(277), pages 252-268, 06.
- C. L. Chua & Alfons Palangkaraya & Jongsay Yong, 2009. "Hospital Competition, Technical Efficiency, and Quality," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne wp2009n16, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Massimo Bordignon & Gilberto Turati, 2003. "Bailing Out Expectations and Health Expenditure in Italy," CESifo Working Paper Series, CESifo Group Munich 1026, CESifo Group Munich.
- Padovano, Fabio, 2012. "The drivers of interregional policy choices: Evidence from Italy," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 324-340.
- Gian Paolo Barbetta & Gilberto Turati & Angelo Zago, 2004.
"Behavioral Differences Between Public and Private Not-For-Profit Hospitals in the Italian National Health Service,"
Working Papers, University of Verona, Department of Economics
12, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Gian Paolo Barbetta & Gilberto Turati & Angelo M. Zago, 2007. "Behavioral differences between public and private not-for-profit hospitals in the Italian national health service," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 75-96.
- Silvana Robone & Alberto Zanardi, 2006. "Market structure and technology: evidence from the Italian National Health Service," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 215-236, September.
- PINTO, Claudio, 2013. "Complexity of Treatment, and Changes in Efficiency and Productivity for Directly Managed Italian Hospitals," CELPE Discussion Papers, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy 124, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Gianni De Fraja & Paola Valbonesi, 2009. "Mixed Oligopoly: Old and New," Discussion Papers in Economics, Department of Economics, University of Leicester 09/20, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Miselli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.