Hospital Ownership and Technical Inefficiency
AbstractThe theoretical industrial organization literature cites varying factors which might influence the degree of technical efficiency achieved under different ownership structures in the US hospital industry. Unfortunately, this literature offers no consensus regarding the net direction and magnitude of these various effects. This study analyzes the four types of ownership structure in the US hospital industry---private nonprofit, private for-profit, federal, and state and local government. Distance functions are used to measure technical efficiency of hospitals producing multiple outputs relative to other hospitals in the sample, allowing comparisons among the different ownership types.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 42 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
DEA; distance functions; efficiency; contract failure; ownership structure;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hu, Hsin-Hui & Qi, Qinghui & Yang, Chih-Hai, 2012. "Analysis of hospital technical efficiency in China: Effect of health insurance reform," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 865-877.
- Burgess, James Jr. & Carey, Kathleen & Young, Gary J., 2005. "The effect of network arrangements on hospital pricing behavior," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 391-405, March.
- Dormont, Brigitte & Milcent, Carine, 2011.
"Comment évaluer la productivité et l’efficacité des hôpitaux publics et privés ? Les enjeux de la convergence tarifaire,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb)
- Dormont, Brigitte & Milcent, Carine, 2013. "Comment évaluer la productivité et l’efficacité des hôpitaux publics et privés ? Les enjeux de la convergence tarifaire," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7738, Paris Dauphine University.
- Fuh-Hwa Liu & Ying-Hock Teng & Ching-Hsiang Lai, 2011. "The disaster response performance of hospitals in Taiwan: evaluation and classification," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 45(3), pages 495-511, April.
- Halkos, George E. & Tzeremes, Nickolaos G., 2011. "A conditional nonparametric analysis for measuring the efficiency of regional public healthcare delivery: An application to Greek prefectures," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 73-82.
- Tiemann, Oliver & Schreyögg, Jonas & Busse, Reinhard, 2012. "Hospital ownership and efficiency: A review of studies with particular focus on Germany," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 163-171.
- Athanassopoulos, Antreas & Gounaris, Chrysostomos, 2001. "Assessing the technical and allocative efficiency of hospital operations in Greece and its resource allocation implications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 416-431, January.
- Tambour, Magnus & Rehnberg, Clas, 1997. "Internal Markets and Performance in Swedish Health Care," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 161, Stockholm School of Economics.
- N. Maniadakis & N. Kotsopoulos & P. Prezerakos & J. Yfantopoulos, 2009. "Health Care Services Performance Measurement: Theory, Methods and Empirical Evidence," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(3), pages 151-170.
- O'Neill, Liam & Rauner, Marion & Heidenberger, Kurt & Kraus, Markus, 2008. "A cross-national comparison and taxonomy of DEA-based hospital efficiency studies," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 158-189, September.
- Chang, Hsihui & Cheng, Mei-Ai & Das, Somnath, 2004. "Hospital ownership and operating efficiency: Evidence from Taiwan," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(2), pages 513-527, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.