The Effect of Dynamic Hedging of Options Positions on Intermediate-Maturity Interest Rates
AbstractWhen interest rates change, interest rate options dealers buy or sell securities to adjust the hedging positions that they have taken in order to offset their options exposures. The net result of this trading activity, which is unrelated to economic fundamentals, can be to push interest rates further in the direction they were moving. Such “feedback” effects interfere with the short-term dynamics of interest rate movements and can alter the shape of the yield curve, especially when changes in interest rates are large. Our empirical results confirm the existence of a positive feedback from the activity in the euro-denominated interest rate options market to the european yield curve. This finding can be useful for risk management purposes but also for analysts and policy makers when interpreting short-run movements in the yield curve as signals of future economic activity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Greece in its series Working Papers with number 08.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2003
Date of revision:
Interest rate options; Dynamic hedging; European yield curve;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clewlow, Les & Hodges, Stewart, 1997. "Optimal delta-hedging under transactions costs," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(8-9), pages 1353-1376, June.
- Black, Fischer, 1976. "The pricing of commodity contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 167-179.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Kogan, Leonid & Lo, Andrew W., 2000. "When is time continuous?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 173-204, February.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Osterwald-Lenum, Michael, 1992. "A Note with Quantiles of the Asymptotic Distribution of the Maximum Likelihood Cointegration Rank Test Statistics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 461-72, August.
- Dimitrios Sideris, 2004.
"Testing for Long-Run PPP in a System Context: Evidence for the US, Germany and Japan,"
19, Bank of Greece.
- Sideris, Dimitrios, 2006. "Testing for long-run PPP in a system context: Evidence for the US, Germany and Japan," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 143-154, April.
- George A. Christodoulakis & Stephen E Satchell, 2006. "Exact Elliptical Distributions for Models of Conditionally Random Financial Volatility," Working Papers 32, Bank of Greece.
- Eleni Angelopoulou, 2005. "The Comparative Performance of Q-type and Dynamic Models of Firm Investment: Empirical Evidence from the UK," Working Papers 27, Bank of Greece.
- Nicholas G. Zonzilos, 2004. "Econometric Modelling at the Bank of Greece," Working Papers 14, Bank of Greece.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.