Estimating Features of a Distribution from Binomial Data
AbstractWe propose estimators of features of the distribution of an unobserved random variable W. What is observed is a sample of Y; V; X where a binary Y equals one when W exceeds a threshold V determined by experimental design, and X are covariates. Potential applications include bioassay and destructive duration analysis. Our empirical application is referendum contingent valuation in resource economics, where one is interested in features of the distribution of values W (willingness to pay) placed by consumers on a public good such as endangered species. Sample consumers with characteristics X are asked whether they favor (with Y = 1 if yes and zero otherwise) a referendum that would provide the good at a cost V specified by experimental design. This paper provides estimators for quantiles and conditional on X moments of W under both nonparametric and semiparametric specifications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Boston College Department of Economics in its series Boston College Working Papers in Economics with number 442.
Date of creation: 15 May 1997
Date of revision: 01 Jul 2010
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Boston College, 140 Commonwealth Avenue, Chestnut Hill MA 02467 USA
Web page: http://fmwww.bc.edu/EC/
More information through EDIRC
Willingness to Pay; Contingent Valuation; Discrete Choice; Binomial response; Bioassay; Destructive Duration Testing; Semiparametric; Nonparametric; Latent Variable Models;
Other versions of this item:
- Lewbel, Arthur & McFadden, Daniel & Linton, Oliver, 2011. "Estimating features of a distribution from binomial data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 170-188, June.
- Arthur Lewbel & Oliver Linton & Daniel McFadden, 2001. "Estimating features of a distribution from binomial data," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/01, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- C42 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Survey Methods
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-01-31 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Crooker & Joseph Herriges, 2004. "Parametric and Semi-Nonparametric Estimation of Willingness-to-Pay in the Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation Framework," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 27(4), pages 451-480, April.
- Hardle, W., 1992.
"Applied Nonparametric Methods,"
9204, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Hardle, W., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Papers 9206, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- HÄRDLE, Wolfgang, 1992. "Applied nonparametric methods," CORE Discussion Papers 1992003, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hardle, W., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Discussion Paper 1992-6, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Wolfgang Hardle & Oliver Linton, 1994. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1069, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Creel, Michael & Loomis, John, 1997.
"Semi-nonparametric Distribution-Free Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 341-358, March.
- Creel, M. & Loomis, J., 1995. "Semi-Nonparametric Distribution-Free Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 273.94, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Horowitz, Joel L., 2001. "The Bootstrap," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 52, pages 3159-3228 Elsevier.
- Pakes, Ariel & Pollard, David, 1989. "Simulation and the Asymptotics of Optimization Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1027-57, September.
- Newey, W.K., 1991.
"The Asymptotic Variance of Semiparametric Estimators,"
583, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1994. "The Asymptotic Variance of Semiparametric Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1349-82, November.
- Newey, W.K., 1989. "The Asymptotic Variance Of Semiparametric Estimotors," Papers 346, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Klein, Roger W & Spady, Richard H, 1993.
"An Efficient Semiparametric Estimator for Binary Response Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(2), pages 387-421, March.
- Klein, R.W. & Spady, R.H., 1991. "An Efficient Semiparametric Estimator for Binary Response Models," Papers 70, Bell Communications - Economic Research Group.
- Mark Yuying An, 2000. "A Semiparametric Distribution for Willingness to Pay and Statistical Inference with Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(3), pages 487-500.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1994. "Asymptotics for Semiparametric Econometric Models via Stochastic Equicontinuity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(1), pages 43-72, January.
- Arthur Lewbel, 1999.
"Semiparametric Qualitative Response Model Estimation with Unknown Heteroskedasticity or Instrumental Variables,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
454, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 2000. "Semiparametric qualitative response model estimation with unknown heteroscedasticity or instrumental variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 145-177, July.
- Racine, Jeff & Li, Qi, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of regression functions with both categorical and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 99-130, March.
- Masry, Elias, 1996. "Multivariate regression estimation local polynomial fitting for time series," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 81-101, December.
- Bryan W. Brown & Whitney K. Newey, 1998. "Efficient Semiparametric Estimation of Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(2), pages 453-464, March.
- Gozalo, Pedro & Linton, Oliver, 2000. "Local nonlinear least squares: Using parametric information in nonparametric regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 63-106, November.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:13:y:1997:i:1:p:32-51 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chen, Heng Z. & Randall, Alan, 1997. "Semi-nonparametric estimation of binary response models with an application to natural resource valuation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 323-340.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingred Van Keilegom, 2002.
"Estimation of semiparametric models when the criterion function is not smooth,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP02/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2003. "Estimation of Semiparametric Models when the Criterion Function Is Not Smooth," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1591-1608, 09.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2003. "Estimation of Semiparametric Models when the Criterion Function is not Smooth," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2003/450, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Donald Green & Karen Jacowitz & Daniel Kahneman & Daniel McFadden, 1995.
"Referendum Contingent Valuation, Anchoring, and Willingness to Pay for Public Goods,"
_010, University of California at Berkeley, Econometrics Laboratory Software Archive.
- Green, Donald & Jacowitz, Karen E. & Kahneman, Daniel & McFadden, Daniel, 1998. "Referendum contingent valuation, anchoring, and willingness to pay for public goods," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 85-116, June.
- Oliver LINTON, .
"Applied nonparametric methods,"
Statistic und Oekonometrie
9312, Humboldt Universitaet Berlin.
- Powell, James L & Stock, James H & Stoker, Thomas M, 1989. "Semiparametric Estimation of Index Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1403-30, November.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1997. "Semiparametric Estimation of Location and Other Discrete Choice Moments," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 32-51, February.
- Coppejans, Mark, 2003. "Effective nonparametric estimation in the case of severely discretized data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 331-367, December.
- Sherman, Robert P, 1993. "The Limiting Distribution of the Maximum Rank Correlation Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 123-37, January.
- Delgado, Miguel A & Mora, Juan, 1995. "Nonparametric and Semiparametric Estimation with Discrete Regressors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(6), pages 1477-84, November.
- Charles F. Manski & Elie Tamer, 2002. "Inference on Regressions with Interval Data on a Regressor or Outcome," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 519-546, March.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.