Incentives and tranche retention in securitisation: a screening model
AbstractThis paper examines the power of different contractual mechanisms to influence an originator’s choice of costly effort to screen borrowers when the originator plans to securitise its loans. The analysis focuses on three potential mechanisms: the originator holds a “vertical slice”, or share of the portfolio; the originator holds the equity tranche of a structured finance transaction; the originator holds the mezzanine tranche, rather than the equity tranche. These mechanisms will result in differing levels of screening, and the differences arise from varying sensitivities to a systematic risk factor. Equity tranche retention is not always the most effective mechanism, and the equity tranche can be dominated by either a vertical slice or a mezzanine tranche if the probability of a downturn is likely and if the equity tranche is likely to be depleted in a downturn. If the choice of how much and what form to retain is left up to the originator, the retention mechanism may lead to low screening effort, suggesting a potential rationale for government intervention.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank for International Settlements in its series BIS Working Papers with number 289.
Length: 43 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2009
Date of revision:
retention requirements; screening incentives; securitisation; tranching;
Other versions of this item:
- Fender, Ingo & Mitchell, Janet, 2009. "Incentives and Tranche Retention in Securitisation: A Screening Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 7483, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ingo Fender & Janet Mitchell, 2009. "Incentives and tranche retention in securitisation : a screening model," Working Paper Research 177, National Bank of Belgium.
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- D86 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Economics of Contract Law
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gorton, Gary & Pennacchi, George, 1990. " Financial Intermediaries and Liquidity Creation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 49-71, March.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Patrick Legros & Steven Matthews, 2003.
"Moral hazard and capital structure dynamics,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9629, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dewatripont, Mathias & Legros, Patrick & Matthews, Steven A, 2002. "Moral Hazard and Capital Structure Dynamics," CEPR Discussion Papers 3487, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Patrick Legros & Steven A. Matthews, 2002. "Moral Hazard and Capital Structure Dynamics," Penn CARESS Working Papers dfdfbbfe0a5b0e04217a58a93, Penn Economics Department.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Patrick Legros & Steven A. Matthews, 2003. "Moral Hazard and Capital Structure Dynamics," PIER Working Paper Archive 03-006, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Christine A. Parlour & Guillaume Plantin, 2008. "Loan Sales and Relationship Banking," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(3), pages 1291-1314, 06.
- Kenneth A. Froot & David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 1992.
"Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies,"
NBER Working Papers
4084, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Scharfstein, David S & Stein, Jeremy C, 1993. " Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1629-58, December.
- Ingo Fender & Nikola Tarashev & Haibin Zhu, 2008. "Credit fundamentals, ratings and value-at-risk: CDOs versus corporate exposures," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Darrell Duffie, 2008. "Innovations in credit risk transfer: implications for financial stability," BIS Working Papers 255, Bank for International Settlements.
- Ashcraft, Adam B. & Schuermann, Til, 2008.
"Understanding the Securitization of Subprime Mortgage Credit,"
Foundations and Trends(R) in Finance,
now publishers, vol. 2(3), pages 191-309, June.
- Adam B. Ashcraft & Til Schuermann, 2008. "Understanding the securitization of subprime mortgage credit," Staff Reports 318, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Peter DeMarzo & Darrell Duffie, 1999. "A Liquidity-Based Model of Security Design," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(1), pages 65-100, January.
- Chiesa, Gabriella, 2008.
"Optimal credit risk transfer, monitored finance, and banks,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 464-477, October.
- Gabriella Chiesa, 2008. "Optimal Credit Risk Transfer, Monitored Finance, and Banks," EIEF Working Papers Series 0811, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Sep 2008.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1989. "Business conditions and expected returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 23-49, November.
- Krahnen, Jan Pieter & Wilde, Christian, 2006. "Risk Transfer with CDOs and Systemic Risk in Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 5618, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jan Pieter Krahnen & Christian Wilde, 2008.
"Risk Transfer with CDOs,"
Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting
187, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Ingo Fender & Janet Mitchell, 2005.
"Structured finance : complexity, risk and the use of ratings,"
Financial Stability Review,
National Bank of Belgium, vol. 3(1), pages 127-135, June.
- Ingo Fender & Janet Mitchell, 2005. "Structured finance: complexity, risk and the use of ratings," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, June.
- Alan D. Morrison, 2005. "Credit Derivatives, Disintermediation, and Investment Decisions," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 621-648, March.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Peter M. DeMarzo, 2005. "The Pooling and Tranching of Securities: A Model of Informed Intermediation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(1), pages 1-35.
- Krahnen, Jan Pieter & Wilde, Christian, 2006. "Risk transfer with CDOs and systemic risk in bankingfam," CFS Working Paper Series 2006/04, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Alan Morrison, 2000. "Credit Derivatives, Disintermediation and Investment Decisions," OFRC Working Papers Series 2001fe01, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Benjamin J. Keys & Tanmoy Mukherjee & Amit Seru & Vikrant Vig, 2010. "Did Securitization Lead to Lax Screening? Evidence from Subprime Loans," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 125(1), pages 307-362, February.
- Spiros Bougheas, 2012.
"Pooling, Tranching and Credit Expansion,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3859, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gürtler, Marc & Hibbeln, Martin, 2012. "How smart are investors after the subprime mortgage crisis? Evidence from the securitization market," Working Papers IF39V1, Technische Universität Braunschweig, Institute of Finance.
- Allen B Frankel, 2009. "The risk of relying on reputational capital: a case study of the 2007 failure of New Century Financial," BIS Working Papers 294, Bank for International Settlements.
- Pagès, H., 2012.
"Bank monitoring incentives and optimal ABS,"
377, Banque de France.
- Sara Malekan & Georges Dionne, 2012. "Securitization and Optimal Retention under Moral Hazard," Cahiers de recherche 1221, CIRPEE.
- Scholz, Julia, 2011. "Manager- und transaktionsspezifische Determinanten der Performance von Arbitrage CLOs," Discussion Papers in Business Administration 12144, University of Munich, Munich School of Management.
- Sarkisyan, Anna & Casu, Barbara, 2013. "Retained interests in securitisations and implications for bank solvency," Working Paper Series 1538, European Central Bank.
- Pagès, H., 2009. "Bank incentives and optimal CDOs," Working papers 253, Banque de France.
- Bobek, Andreas & Bohm, Thomas & Neuner, Stefan & Paintner, Sandra & Schmeußer, Stefanie & Waldvogel, Felix, 2011. "Ökonomische Analyse europäischer Bankenregulierung: Verbriefung und Interbankenmarkt im Fokus," Bayreuth Working Papers on Finance, Accounting and Taxation (FAcT-Papers) 2011-01, University of Bayreuth, Chair of Finance and Banking.
- Kiff, John & Kisser, Michael, 2011. "A Shot at Regulating Securitization," Discussion Papers 2011/7, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.