Credit fundamentals, ratings and value-at-risk: CDOs versus corporate exposures
AbstractThis article compares the linkages between credit fundamentals, ratings and value-at-risk measures for CDO tranches with those for corporate bond exposures. A sensitivity analysis incorporating market information and rating migrations data reveals that the behaviour of CDO tranche ratings can differ markedly from that of corporate ratings. In addition, tranching is found to have an important impact on the probability of large losses. This highlights how investors who narrowly focus on ratings and draw direct parallels with corporate exposures can seriously misjudge the value-at-risk of CDOs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Bank for International Settlements in its journal BIS Quarterly Review.
Volume (Year): (2008)
Issue (Month): (March)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ingo Fender & Janet Mitchell, 2009. "The future of securitisation: how to align incentives," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, September.
- Ingo Fender & Janet Mitchell, 2009.
"Incentives and tranche retention in securitisation : a screening model,"
Working Paper Research
177, National Bank of Belgium.
- Ingo Fender & Janet Mitchell, 2009. "Incentives and tranche retention in securitisation: a screening model," BIS Working Papers 289, Bank for International Settlements.
- Fender, Ingo & Mitchell, Janet, 2009. "Incentives and Tranche Retention in Securitisation: A Screening Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 7483, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lützenkirchen, Kristina & Rösch, Daniel & Scheule, Harald, 2013. "Ratings based capital adequacy for securitizations," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5236-5247.
- Siegert, Caspar, 2014. "Optimal Opacity on Financial Markets," Discussion Papers in Economics 20937, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Claudio Borio & Mathias Drehmann & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2012.
"Stress-testing macro stress testing: does it live up to expectations?,"
BIS Working Papers
369, Bank for International Settlements.
- Borio, Claudio & Drehmann, Mathias & Tsatsaronis, Kostas, 2014. "Stress-testing macro stress testing: Does it live up to expectations?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 12(C), pages 3-15.
- Arndt Claußen & Sebastian Löhr & Daniel Rösch, 2014. "An analytical approach for systematic risk sensitivity of structured finance products," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 1-37, April.
- Claudio Borio & Mathias Drehmann, 2009.
"Towards an Operational Framework for Financial Stability: "Fuzzy" Measurement and its Consequences,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
544, Central Bank of Chile.
- Claudio Borio & Mathias Drehmann, 2011. "Toward an Operational Framework for Financial Stability: “Fuzzy” Measurement and Its Consequences," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Rodrigo Alfaro (ed.), Financial Stability, Monetary Policy, and Central Banking, edition 1, volume 15, chapter 4, pages 063-123 Central Bank of Chile.
- Claudio Borio & Claudio Mathias Drehmann, 2009. "Towards an operational framework for financial stability: "fuzzy" measurement and its consequences," BIS Working Papers 284, Bank for International Settlements.
- Bernd Rudolph & Julia Scholz, 2008. "Driving Factors of the Subprime Crisis and Some Reform Proposals," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 6(3), pages 14-19, October.
- Claudio Borio & Bent Vale & Goeth von Peter, 2010.
"Resolving the financial crisis: are we heeding the lessons from the Nordics?,"
BIS Working Papers
311, Bank for International Settlements.
- Claudio Borio & Bent Vale & Goetz von Peter, 2010. "Resolving the financial crisis: are we heeding the lessons from the Nordics?," Working Paper 2010/17, Norges Bank.
- Scholz, Julia, 2011. "Manager- und transaktionsspezifische Determinanten der Performance von Arbitrage CLOs," Discussion Papers in Business Administration 12144, University of Munich, Munich School of Management.
- Wojtowicz, Marcin, 2014. "CDOs and the financial crisis: Credit ratings and fair premia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 1-13.
- Frank Packer & Nikola Tarashev, 2011. "Rating methodologies for banks," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.