Total factor productivity and the decision to serve foreign markets: Firm level evidence from France
AbstractThis paper examines productivity differences between firms doing foreign direct investment (FDI) and domestic firms on a sample of 28,133 continuing French firms over the period 1996-2002. The main contribution of this paper is to scrutinize the links between the different modes of globalization (exporting vs. setting up an affiliate overseas) and address the question of causality between productivity and global expansion. Comparing domestic firms and extra-firm exporters of goods, we find that pre-entry selection is more important than post-market-entry effects. Pre-entry boosts to productiVity are interpreted as a reflection of sunk cost to exporting in our framework while the absence of post-entry productivity effects is interpreted as an absence of learning effects associated with exporting. This result does not seem to fully hold for exports of services, which we consider as a partial evidence of foreign knowledge spillovers at work in the exports of services; more in-depth investigation would be probably fruitful to identify the dynamics of the diffusion process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banque de France in its series Working papers with number 205.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
International Trade ; productivity ; Learning ; Spillover ; Self-selection.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- O4 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aw, B. -Y. & Hwang, A. R., 1995. "Productivity and the export market: A firm-level analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 313-332, August.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jenson & Samuel Kortum, 2000.
"Plants and Productivity in International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
7688, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jensen & Samuel Kortum, 2000. "Plants and Productivity in International Trade," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 105, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Andrew B Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jensen & Samuel Kortum, 2000. "Plants and productivity in international trade," Working Papers 00-08, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Aitken, B. & Hanson, G.H. & Harrison, A.E., 1994.
"Spillovers, Foreign Investment and Export Behavior,"
95-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E., 1997. "Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 103-132, August.
- Brian Aitken & Gordon H. Hanson & Ann E. Harrison, 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment, and Export Behavior," NBER Working Papers 4967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido Fioretti, 2005. "The Production Function," Papers physics/0511191, arXiv.org.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 2003.
"Heterogeneity and the FDI versus export decision of Japanese manufacturers,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 448-467, December.
- Keith Head & John Ries, 2003. "Heterogeneity and the FDI versus Export Decision of Japanese Manufacturers," NBER Working Papers 10052, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacques Mairesse & Jordi Jaumandreu, 2005. "Panel-data Estimates of the Production Function and the Revenue Function: What Difference Does It Make?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 107(4), pages 651-672, December.
- Roberts, Mark J & Tybout, James R, 1997. "The Decision to Export in Colombia: An Empirical Model of Entry with Sunk Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 545-64, September.
- Yeaple, Stephen & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2004.
"Export versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
3229098, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Farinas, Jose C. & Ruano, Sonia, 2002. "Firm productivity and export markets: a non-parametric approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 397-422, August.
- Daniel Mirza & Emmanuel Milet & Guillaume Gaulier, 2010. "Les firmes françaises dans le commerce international de services," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 435(1), pages 125-147.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael brassart).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.