Financial Constraints and Foreign Market Entries or Exits: Firm-Level Evidence from France
AbstractThis paper studies the effect of credit constraints on the expansion and survival of firms in foreign markets. It develops a model in which, lower access to external finance, or reduced internal liquidity, hampers the firm ability to finance the recurrent costs to serve foreign markets and decreases firm survival in foreign markets. Additionally, financial constraints act as a barrier to firm export expansion by decreasing the firm ability to finance the entry costs into new export markets; thus, they push firm to avoid losing destinations. We use a unique longitudinal dataset on French firms that contains information on export destinations of individual firms and allows us to construct various firm-level measures of financial constraints to test these predictions. We obtain two main results. First, credit constraints have a negative effect on the number of newly served destinations. Second, higher probability of exit from the export market is also associated with credit constraints; that is consistent with constraints limiting the financing of recurrent export costs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banque de France in its series Working papers with number 328.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Firm heterogeneity; financial constraints; trade.;
Other versions of this item:
- Askenazy, Philippe & Caldera, Aida & Gaulier, Guillaume & Irac, Delphine, 2011. "Financial Constraints and Foreign Market Entries or Exits: Firm Level Evidence from France," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1112, CEPREMAP.
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- D92 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth - - - Intertemporal Firm Choice and Growth, Financing, Investment, and Capacity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2011-05-14 (International Finance)
- NEP-INT-2011-05-14 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Redding, Stephen J., 2010.
"Theories of Heterogeneous Firms and Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7961, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen J. Redding, 2010. "Theories of Heterogeneous Firms and Trade," NBER Working Papers 16562, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Redding, 2010. "Theories of Heterogeneous Firms and Trade," CEP Discussion Papers dp0994, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Redding, Stephen, 2010. "Theories of heterogeneous firms and trade ," Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science CEPDP0994, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2007.
"Market Entry Costs, Producer Heterogeneity, and Export Dynamics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 75(3), pages 837-873, 05.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2001. "Market Entry Costs, Producer Heterogeneity, and Export Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 8629, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2001. "Market entry costs, producer heterogeneity and export dynamics," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 03-10, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Nicolas Berman & Jérôme Héricourt, 2008.
"Financial factors and the margins of trade : evidence from cross-country firm-level data,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
bla08050, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Berman, Nicolas & Héricourt, Jérôme, 2010. "Financial factors and the margins of trade: Evidence from cross-country firm-level data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 206-217, November.
- Nicolas Berman & Jérôme Héricourt, 2008. "Financial Factors and the Margins of Trade: Evidence from Cross-Country Firm-Level Data," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00321632, HAL.
- Andrei A. Levchenko & Logan Lewis & Linda L. Tesar, 2009.
"The Collapse of International Trade During the 2008-2009 Crisis: In Search of the Smoking Gun,"
592, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Logan Lewis & Linda Tesar & Andrei Levchenko, 2010. "The Collapse of International Trade During the 2008-2009 Crisis: In Search of the Smoking Gun," 2010 Meeting Papers 109, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Andrei A. Levchenko & Logan T. Lewis & Linda L. Tesar, 2010. "The Collapse of International Trade During the 2008-2009 Crisis: In Search of the Smoking Gun," NBER Working Papers 16006, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vlad Manole & Mariana Spatareanu, 2009.
"Exporting, Capital Investment and Financial Constraints,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
25209, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Vlad Manole & Mariana Spatareanu, 2009. "Exporting, Capital Investment and Financial Constraints," Working Papers Rutgers University, Newark 2009-005, Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark.
- Manole, Vlad & Spatareanu, Mariana, 2010. "Exporting, capital investment and financial constraints," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/283010, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Stefano Schiavo, 2010.
"Financial Constraints and Firm Export Behaviour,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 347-373, 03.
- Minetti, Raoul & Zhu, Susan Chun, 2011. "Credit constraints and firm export: Microeconomic evidence from Italy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 109-125, March.
- Ines Buono & Harald Fadinger, 2012.
"The micro dynamics of exporting: evidence from French firms,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
880, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Ines Buono & Harald Fadinger & Stefan Berger, 2008. "The Micro Dynamic of Exporting-Evidence from French Firms," Vienna Economics Papers 0901, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Buono, Ines & Fadinger, Harald & Berger, Stefan, 2008. "The Micro Dynamics of Exporting: Evidence from French Firms," MPRA Paper 12940, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:pse:psecon:2008-26 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bricongne, J-C. & Fontagné, L. & Gaulier, G. & Taglioni, D. & Vicard, V., 2009.
"Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil,"
265, Banque de France.
- Bricongne, Jean-Charles & Fontagné, Lionel & Gaulier, Guillaume & Taglioni, Daria & Vicard, Vincent, 2012. "Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 134-146.
- Jean-Charles Bricongne & Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Daria Taglioni & Vincent Vicard, 2010. "Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil," Working Paper Series 1245, European Central Bank.
- Irac, D., 2008. "Access to new imported varieties and total factor productivity: Firm level evidence from France," Working papers 204, Banque de France.
- Philippe Aghion & Philippe Askenazy & Nicolas Berman & Gilbert Cette & Laurent Eymard, 2008.
"Credit constraints and the cyclicality of R&D investment: Evidence from France,"
PSE Working Papers
- Philippe Aghion & Philippe Askenazy & Nicolas Berman & Gilbert Cette & Laurent Eymard, 2012. "Credit Constraints And The Cyclicality Of R&D Investment: Evidence From France," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 10(5), pages 1001-1024, October.
- Aghion, P. & Askenazy, P. & Berman, N. & Cette, G. & Eymard, L., 2008. "Credit Constraints and the Cyclicality of R&D Investment: Evidence from France," Working papers 198, Banque de France.
- Christian Arndt & Claudia Buch & Anselm Mattes, 2009. "Barriers to Internationalization: Firm-Level Evidence from Germany," IAW Discussion Papers 52, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Gabriel J. Felbermayr & Erdal Yalcin, 2011. "Export Credit Guarantees and Export Performance:An Empirical Analysis for Germany," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 116, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Mirabelle Muûls, 2012. "Exporters, Importers and Credit Constraints," CEP Discussion Papers dp1169, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Angelo Secchi & Federico Tamagni & Chiara Tomasi, 2012.
"Exporting under Financial Constraints: Margins, Switching Dynamics and Prices,"
Development Working Papers
338, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 16 Jul 2012.
- Angelo Secchi & Federico Tamagni & Chiara Tomasi, 2011. "Exporting under financial constraints: margins, switching dynamics and prices," LEM Papers Series 2011/24, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2012.
"Credit constraints and exports: Evidence for German manufacturing enterprises,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
286, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Joachim Wagner, 2012. "Credit constraints and exports: Evidence for German manufacturing enterprises," Working Paper Series in Economics 251, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Christine Petit-Djemad).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.