Capital Destruction, Optimal Defense and Economic Growth
AbstractThe effects of capital destruction are endogenized in a neoclassical growth model where the economy can optimally allocate part of its labor force to defend capital from being destroyed. The purpose is to explain the optimal allocation of the labor force between productive and deterrence activities along the optimal growth path in response to exogenous terrorist attacks against the material wealth of the economy. The article makes special case to the recent Colombian case and sheds some light on the dramatic increase in the defense activities in Colombia as a result of the increase of terrorist attacks by rebeld groups.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de la Republica de Colombia in its series Borradores de Economia with number 257.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Capital accumulation; deterrence; capital destruction and economic growth.;
Other versions of this item:
- Daniel Mejía & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2003. "Capital Destruction, Optimal Defense and Economic Growth," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002096, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- D74 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Conflict; Conflict Resolution; Alliances
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-02-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2004-02-29 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MAC-2004-02-29 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlos Esteban Posada & Francisco González, 2000. "El gasto en defensa, justicia y seguridad," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 2(2), pages 53-75, January-J.
- Alberto Alesina & Sule Ozler & Nouriel Roubini & Phillip Swagel, 1992.
"Political Instability and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
4173, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Barro, 2003. "Nothing is Sacred: Economic Ideas for the New Millennium," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262524155, January.
- Armando Montenegro & Carlos Esteban Posada, .
"Criminalidad en Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
004, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Grossman, Herschel I & Kim, Minseong, 1996.
" Predation and Accumulation,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 333-50, September.
- Adriana Camacho, 2007.
"Stress and birth outcomes: evidence from terrorist attacks in Colombia,"
004014, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Adriana Camacho Gonzalez, 2007. "Stress and birth outcomes evidence from terrorist attacks in Colombia," DOCUMENTOS DE ECONOMÃA 003945, UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA - BOGOTÁ.
- Camacho, Andriana & Rodriguez, Catherine, 2010.
"Firm Exit and Armed Conflict in Colombia,"
Working Paper Series
wp2010-94, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Liu, Tao-Xiong & Hu, An-Gang & Zhou, Bi-Hua, 2011. "Defense Expenditure and Economic Growth under External Predation," MPRA Paper 29286, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Estrada, Fernando, 2011. "Heuristic Schelling: economy of organized crime," MPRA Paper 31306, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Julián David Parada, 2008. "Tasa de depreciación endógena y crecimiento económico," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 004594, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Estrada G., Fernando, 2011.
"The logic of the violence in the civil war: The armed conflict in Colombia,"
PERFIL DE COYUNTURA ECONÓMICA,
UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA - CIE.
- Estrada, Fernando, 2011. "The logic of the violence in the civil war: the armed conflict in Colombia," MPRA Paper 29685, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hernando Zuleta & Juanita Villaveces, 2008. "Conflict and negotiation: a game theoretical approach," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 005148, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Arias Andrés F. & Laura Ardila, 2003. "Military Expenditure and Economic Activity: The Colombian Case," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Camilo Millán).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.