An Analysis of Off-Site Supervision of Banks' Profitability, Risk and Capital Adequacy: a portfolio simulation approach applied to brazilian banks
AbstractIn most countries, the role of off-site bank supervision involves continuous monitoring of profitability, risk and capital adequacy. The objective of this article is to demonstrate the value of bringing together advanced modeling techniques with data on banks' assets and liabilities and credit worthiness. More specifically, we apply an integrated market and credit risk simulation methodology to a group of six hypothetical banks. We show the capacity of the methodology: (i) to simulate credit transition probabilities of default close to the historical values estimated by the Central Bank of Brazil; and (ii) to simulate asset and equity returns that are unbiased estimators of average historical returns and standard deviations. Our results also indicate that: (i) a sharp reduction in the interest rate spreads of Brazilian banks reduces bank profitability and increases the probability of default; and (ii) most banks have low probability of bankruptcy. Our position is that utilization of forward looking risk evaluation methodologies in databases, such as those developed by the Central Bank of Brazil, has significant potential as an instrument of indirect supervision to identify potential risks before they materialize.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department in its series Working Papers Series with number 117.
Date of creation: Sep 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bcb.gov.br/?english
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2007-06-02 (Banking)
- NEP-CMP-2007-06-02 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2007-06-02 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Barnhill, Theodore M. & Souto, Marcos Rietti, 2008. "Systemic bank risk in Brazil: an assessment of correlated market, credit, sovereign and inter-bank risk in an environment with stochastic volatilities and correlations," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2008,13, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Vazquez, Francisco & Tabak, Benjamin M. & Souto, Marcos, 2012.
"A macro stress test model of credit risk for the Brazilian banking sector,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 69-83.
- Francisco Vazquez & Benjamin M. Tabak & Marcos Souto, 2010. "A Macro Stress Test Model of Credit Risk for the Brazilian Banking Sector," Working Papers Series 226, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francisco Marcos Rodrigues Figueiredo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.