On Nonparametric Estimation of a Hedonic Price Function
AbstractRecently, using mixed data on Canadian housing, Parmeter, Henderson, and Kumbhakar (Journal of Applied Econometrics 2007; 22: 695-699) found that a nonparametric approach for estimating a hedonic house price function is superior to formerly suggested parametric and semiparametric specifications. We carefully reanalyze these specifications for this dataset by applying a recent nonparametric specification test and simulation-based prediction comparisons. For the case at issue our results suggest that a previously proposed parametric specification does not have to be rejected and we illustrate how nonparametric methods provide valuable insights during all modeling steps. Copyright Â© 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Regensburg, Department of Economics in its series University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems with number 429.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universitäts-Str. 31, D-93040 Regensburg
Phone: +49 941 943-2392
Fax: +49 941 943-4752
Web page: http://www-wiwi.uni-regensburg.de/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Harry Haupt & Joachim Schnurbus & Rolf Tschernig, 2010. "On nonparametric estimation of a hedonic price function," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(5), pages 894-901.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cheng Hsiao & Qi Li & Jeff Racine, 2006.
"A Consistent Model Specification Test with Mixed Discrete and Continuous Data,"
IEPR Working Papers, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR)
06.47, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Hsiao, Cheng & Li, Qi & Racine, Jeffrey S., 2007. "A consistent model specification test with mixed discrete and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 802-826, October.
- Daniel J. Henderson & Christopher F. Parmeter & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2007. "Nonparametric estimation of a hedonic price function," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 695-699.
- Racine, Jeff & Li, Qi, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of regression functions with both categorical and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 99-130, March.
- Anglin, Paul M & Gencay, Ramazan, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of a Hedonic Price Function," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 633-48, Nov.-Dec..
- Gaetano Lisi, 2013. "On the Functional Form of the Hedonic Price Function: A Matching-theoretic Model and Empirical Evidence," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 16(2), pages 189-207.
- Lisi, Gaetano, 2012. "On the theoretical derivation of a functional form for the hedonic price function," MPRA Paper 37066, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jeffrey S. Racine & Christopher F. Parmeter, 2012. "Data-Driven Model Evaluation: A Test for Revealed Performance," Department of Economics Working Papers 2012-13, McMaster University.
- Simlai, Prodosh, 2014. "Estimation of variance of housing prices using spatial conditional heteroskedasticity (SARCH) model with an application to Boston housing price data," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 17-30.
- Rainer Schulz & Martin Wersing & Axel Werwatz, 2013. "Automated Valuation Modelling: A Specification Exercise," SFB 649 Discussion Papers, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany SFB649DP2013-046, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- On nonparametric estimation of a hedonic price function (JAE 2011) in ReplicationWiki
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gernot Deinzer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.