Nonparametric estimation of a hedonic price function
AbstractRosen's (1974) theory of hedonic prices is implemented econometrically using recently developed nonparametric techniques to examine the influence of qualitative factors on the price of a house. Our ability to smooth categorical variables leads to greater generalization in the valuation process and provides a canvas for interactions between categorical and continuous variables that is difficult to exploit in parametric and semiparametric models. This is illustrated with a replication of a previously used partially linear model specification. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 22 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anglin, Paul M & Gencay, Ramazan, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of a Hedonic Price Function," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 633-48, Nov.-Dec..
- Haupt, Harry & Schnurbus, Joachim & Tschernig, Rolf, 2008.
"On Nonparametric Estimation of a Hedonic Price Function,"
University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems
429, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
- Harry Haupt & Joachim Schnurbus & Rolf Tschernig, 2010. "On nonparametric estimation of a hedonic price function," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(5), pages 894-901.
- Jeanne Dachary-Bernard & Frédéric Gaschet & Sandrine Lyser & Guillaume Pouyanne & Stéphane Virol, 2011. "L’impact de la littoralisation sur les marchés fonciers. Une approche comparative des côtes basque et charentaise," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 444(1), pages 127-154.
- Bontemps, C. & Simioni, M. & Surry, Y., 2006.
"Semiparametric hedonic price models : assessing the effects of agricultural nonpoint source pollution,"
Economics Working Paper Archive (Toulouse)
200602, French Institute for Agronomy Research (INRA), Economics Laboratory in Toulouse (ESR Toulouse).
- Christophe Bontemps & Michel Simioni & Yves Surry, 2008. "Semiparametric hedonic price models: assessing the effects of agricultural nonpoint source pollution," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(6), pages 825-842.
- Teuber, Ramona, 2010. "Estimating the Demand for Sensory Quality â€“ Theoretical Considerations and an Empirical Application to Specialty Coffee," Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, vol. 59(3).
- Christopher F. Parmeter & Jaren C. Pope, 2012. "Quasi-Experiments and Hedonic Property Value Methods," Working Papers 2012-7, University of Miami, Department of Economics.
- Lisi, Gaetano, 2012. "On the theoretical derivation of a functional form for the hedonic price function," MPRA Paper 37066, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Valentin Zelenyuk & Leopold Simar, 2011. "To Smooth or Not to Smooth? The Case of Discrete Variables in Nonparametric Regressions," CEPA Working Papers Series WP102011, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Wolfgang Brunauer & Stefan Lang & Peter Wechselberger & Sven Bienert, 2008. "Additive Hedonic Regression Models with Spatial Scaling Factors: An Application for Rents in Vienna," Working Papers 2008-17, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- W. Brunauer & S. Lang & P. Wechselberger & S. Bienert, 2010. "Additive Hedonic Regression Models with Spatial Scaling Factors: An Application for Rents in Vienna," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 41(4), pages 390-411, November.
- Kuminoff, Nicolai V. & Parmeter, Christopher F. & Pope, Jaren C., 2008. "Hedonic Price Functions: Guidance On Empirical Specification," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6555, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jeffrey S. Racine & Christopher F. Parmeter, 2012. "Data-Driven Model Evaluation: A Test for Revealed Performance," Department of Economics Working Papers 2012-13, McMaster University.
- Quan Gan & Robert J. Hill, 2008. "A New Perspective on the Relationship Between House Prices and Income," Discussion Papers 2008-13, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Gaetano Lisi, 2013. "On the Functional Form of the Hedonic Price Function: A Matching-theoretic Model and Empirical Evidence," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 16(2), pages 189-207.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.