Inequality and Progressiveness in the Distribution of Revenues of the States in Federal Countries: A Comparitive Study
AbstractIn federal countries it is common to debate the distributive effects of the regional financing system. This paper applies the traditional measurement tools of inequality and progressiveness to the financing systems in the States in federal countries with the aim of making an international comparison. In the first part we describe the financing systems of five federal countries: Germany , Australia , Canada , Spain and Switzerland . In the second part we estimate inequality in the distribution of resources before and after transfers, noting the equalizing effect of the transfers. In the third part the same exercises are carried out to assess progressiveness, also noting the progressive impact of the aforementioned transfers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University in its series International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU with number paper0703.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://aysps.gsu.edu/isp/index.html
fiscal federalism; inequality; transfers; compared research;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-05 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shorrocks, A F, 1980. "The Class of Additively Decomposable Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 613-25, April.
- Boadway,Robin & Shah,Anwar, 2009.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521518215, October.
- Ladd, Helen F. & Yinger, John, 1994. "The Case for Equalizing Aid," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 47(1), pages 211-24, March.
- Plotnick, Robert, 1981. "A Measure of Horizontal Inequity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(2), pages 283-88, May.
- Richard Bird & Andrey Tarasov, 2002.
"Closing the Gap: Fiscal Imbalaces and Intergovernmental Transfers in Developed Federations,"
International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU
paper0202, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Richard M Bird & Andrey V Tarasov, 2004. "Closing the gap: fiscal imbalances and intergovernmental transfers in developed federations," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 22(1), pages 77-102, February.
- Suits, Daniel B, 1977. "Measurement of Tax Progressivity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 747-52, September.
- Flatters, Frank & Henderson, Vernon & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1974. "Public goods, efficiency, and regional fiscal equalization," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 99-112, May.
- Robin Boadway, 2003. "The Theory and Practice of Equalization," Working Papers 1016, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Buchanan, James M. & Goetz, Charles J., 1972. "Efficiency limits of fiscal mobility: An assessment of the tiebout model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 25-43, April.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1982. "Inequality Decomposition by Factor Components," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 193-211, January.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Jameson Boex, 1999. "Fiscal Decentralization in the Russian Federation During the Transition," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper9903, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1984. "Inequality Decomposition by Population Subgroups," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(6), pages 1369-85, November.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Mieszkowski, Peter & Musgrave, Richard A., 1999. "Federalism, Grants, and Fiscal Equalization," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 52(n. 2), pages 239-60, June.
- Maté Sáncuez-Val, M. & García Pérez De Lema, D. & López Hernández, F., 2009. "La influencia de los efectos espaciales en el crecimiento de la productividad de la PYME/," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 27, pages 283 (24 PÃ¡, Abril.
- Hierro Recio, Luis Angel & Atienza Montero, Pedro & Gómez-Álvarez Díaz, Rosario, 2010. "La distribución de recursos entre Comunidades Autónomas. Una primera aproximación a los cambios derivados del nuevo modelo de financiación/The Distribution of Resources Between Autonomous Communit," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 28, pages 61-76, Abril.
- Gobernado Rebaque, José Ignacio & Prieto Jano, María José, 2010. "La cuantificación de la solidaridad en la financiación de las Comunidades Autónomas de régimen común en el período 2002-2007/An Assessment of the Solidarity in the Spanish Regional Financing Sys," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 28, pages 151-164, Abril.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Benson).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.