Inequality and Progressiveness in the Distribution of Revenues of the States in Federal Countries: A Comparitive Study
AbstractIn federal countries it is common to debate the distributive effects of the regional financing system. This paper applies the traditional measurement tools of inequality and progressiveness to the financing systems in the States in federal countries with the aim of making an international comparison. In the first part we describe the financing systems of five federal countries: Germany , Australia , Canada , Spain and Switzerland . In the second part we estimate inequality in the distribution of resources before and after transfers, noting the equalizing effect of the transfers. In the third part the same exercises are carried out to assess progressiveness, also noting the progressive impact of the aforementioned transfers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University in its series International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU with number paper0703.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://aysps.gsu.edu/isp/index.html
fiscal federalism; inequality; transfers; compared research;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-05 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shorrocks, A F, 1980. "The Class of Additively Decomposable Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 613-25, April.
- Flatters, Frank & Henderson, Vernon & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1974. "Public goods, efficiency, and regional fiscal equalization," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 99-112, May.
- Richard M Bird & Andrey V Tarasov, 2004.
"Closing the gap: fiscal imbalances and intergovernmental transfers in developed federations,"
Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 22(1), pages 77-102, February.
- Richard Bird & Andrey Tarasov, 2002. "Closing the Gap: Fiscal Imbalaces and Intergovernmental Transfers in Developed Federations," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0202, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Boadway,Robin & Shah,Anwar, 2009.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521732116, November.
- Robin Boadway, 2003. "The Theory and Practice of Equalization," Working Papers 1016, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Suits, Daniel B, 1977. "Measurement of Tax Progressivity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 747-52, September.
- Buchanan, James M. & Goetz, Charles J., 1972. "Efficiency limits of fiscal mobility: An assessment of the tiebout model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 25-43, April.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1984. "Inequality Decomposition by Population Subgroups," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(6), pages 1369-85, November.
- Plotnick, Robert, 1981. "A Measure of Horizontal Inequity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(2), pages 283-88, May.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Jameson Boex, 1999. "Fiscal Decentralization in the Russian Federation During the Transition," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper9903, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1982. "Inequality Decomposition by Factor Components," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 193-211, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Benson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.