Arbitrage-free SVI volatility surfaces
AbstractIn this article, we show how to calibrate the widely-used SVI parameterization of the implied volatility surface in such a way as to guarantee the absence of static arbitrage. In particular, we exhibit a large class of arbitrage-free SVI volatility surfaces with a simple closed-form representation. We demonstrate the high quality of typical SVI fits with a numerical example using recent SPX options data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1204.0646.
Date of creation: Apr 2012
Date of revision: Mar 2013
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-10 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matthias R. Fengler, 2005.
"Arbitrage-Free Smoothing of the Implied Volatility Surface,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2005-019, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Matthias Fengler, 2009. "Arbitrage-free smoothing of the implied volatility surface," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 417-428.
- Cousot, Laurent, 2007. "Conditions on option prices for absence of arbitrage and exact calibration," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(11), pages 3377-3397, November.
- Jim Gatheral & Antoine Jacquier, 2010.
"Convergence of Heston to SVI,"
Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive
1002.3633, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- Clark, Peter K, 1973. "A Subordinated Stochastic Process Model with Finite Variance for Speculative Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 135-55, January.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Stefano De Marco & Caroline Hillairet & Antoine Jacquier, 2013. "Shapes of implied volatility with positive mass at zero," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 1310.1020, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- Gaoyue Guo & Antoine Jacquier & Claude Martini & Leo Neufcourt, 2012. "Generalised arbitrage-free SVI volatility surfaces," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 1210.7111, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management, revised Oct 2013.
- Samuel E. Vazquez, 2014. "Option Pricing, Historical Volatility and Tail Risks," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 1402.1255, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.