Using pseudo-parabolic and fractional equations for option pricing in jump diffusion models
AbstractIn mathematical finance a popular approach for pricing options under some Levy model is to consider underlying that follows a Poisson jump diffusion process. As it is well known this results in a partial integro-differential equation (PIDE) that usually does not allow an analytical solution while numerical solution brings some problems. In this paper we elaborate a new approach on how to transform the PIDE to some class of so-called pseudo-parabolic equations which are known in mathematics but are relatively new for mathematical finance. As an example we discuss several jump-diffusion models which Levy measure allows such a transformation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1002.1995.
Date of creation: Feb 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Andrey Itkin & Peter Carr, 2012. "Using Pseudo-Parabolic and Fractional Equations for Option Pricing in Jump Diffusion Models," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 40(1), pages 63-104, June.
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-02-27 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cartea, Álvaro & del-Castillo-Negrete, Diego, 2007.
"Fractional diffusion models of option prices in markets with jumps,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 374(2), pages 749-763.
- Alvaro Cartea & Diego del-Castillo-Negrete, 2006. "Fractional Diffusion Models of Option Prices in Markets with Jumps," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0604, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Peter Carr & Helyette Geman, 2002. "The Fine Structure of Asset Returns: An Empirical Investigation," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(2), pages 305-332, April.
- Peter Carr & Anita Mayo, 2007. "On the Numerical Evaluation of Option Prices in Jump Diffusion Processes," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 353-372.
- Amin, Kaushik I, 1993. " Jump Diffusion Option Valuation in Discrete Time," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1833-63, December.
- Carr, Peter & Wu, Liuren, 2004.
"Time-changed Levy processes and option pricing,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 113-141, January.
- Madan, Dilip B & Seneta, Eugene, 1990. "The Variance Gamma (V.G.) Model for Share Market Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(4), pages 511-24, October.
- N. Hilber & N. Reich & C. Schwab & C. Winter, 2009. "Numerical methods for Lévy processes," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 471-500, September.
- Peter Carr & Hélyette Geman & Dilip Madan & Marc Yor, 2005. "Pricing options on realized variance," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 453-475, October.
- Andrey Itkin, 2014. "Splitting and Matrix Exponential approach for jump-diffusion models with Inverse Normal Gaussian, Hyperbolic and Meixner jumps," Papers 1405.6111, arXiv.org, revised May 2014.
- I. Halperin & A. Itkin, 2012. "Pricing Illiquid Options with $N+1$ Liquid Proxies Using Mixed Dynamic-Static Hedging," Papers 1209.3503, arXiv.org.
- Leif Andersen & Alexander Lipton, 2012. "Asymptotics for Exponential Levy Processes and their Volatility Smile: Survey and New Results," Papers 1206.6787, arXiv.org.
- Andrey Itkin, 2014. "High-Order Splitting Methods for Forward PDEs and PIDEs," Papers 1403.1804, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.