Jump-Diffusion Processes: Volatility Smile Fitting and Numerical Methods for Option Pricing
AbstractThis paper discusses extensions of the implied diffusion approach of Dupire (1994) to asset processes with Poisson jumps. We show that this extension yields important model improvements, particularly in the dynamics of the implied volatility surface. The paper derives a forward PIDE (PartialIntegro-Differential Equation) and demonstrates how this equationcan be used to fit the model to European option prices. For numerical pricing of general contingent claims, we develop an ADI finite difference method that is shown to be unconditionally stable and, if combined with Fast Fourier Transform methods, computationally efficient. The paper contains several detailed examples fromthe S&P500 market. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Derivatives Research.
Volume (Year): 4 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102989
jump-diffusion process; local time; forward equation; volatility smile; ADI finite difference method; fast Fourier transform;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles Quanwei Cao & Gurdip S. Bakshi & Zhiwu Chen, 1997. "Empirical Performance of Alternative Option Pricing Models," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm65, Yale School of Management.
- Boyle, Phelim & Broadie, Mark & Glasserman, Paul, 1997. "Monte Carlo methods for security pricing," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(8-9), pages 1267-1321, June.
- Charles Quanwei Cao & Gurdip S. Bakshi & Zhiwu Chen, 1997. "Empirical Performance of Alternative Option Pricing Models," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm54, Yale School of Management.
- Heston, Steven L, 1993. "A Closed-Form Solution for Options with Stochastic Volatility with Applications to Bond and Currency Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 327-43.
- Bakshi, Gurdip & Cao, Charles & Chen, Zhiwu, 1997. " Empirical Performance of Alternative Option Pricing Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 2003-49, December.
- Stein, Elias M & Stein, Jeremy C, 1991. "Stock Price Distributions with Stochastic Volatility: An Analytic Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(4), pages 727-52.
- Leif Andersen & Alexander Lipton, 2012. "Asymptotics for Exponential Levy Processes and their Volatility Smile: Survey and New Results," Papers 1206.6787, arXiv.org.
- Carol Alexander & Leonardo M. Nogueira, 2004. "Hedging with Stochastic and Local Volatility," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2004-10, Henley Business School, Reading University, revised Dec 2004.
- C. He & J. Kennedy & T. Coleman & P. Forsyth & Y. Li & K. Vetzal, 2006. "Calibration and hedging under jump diffusion," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 1-35, January.
- Ron Chan & Simon Hubbert, 2014. "Options pricing under the one-dimensional jump-diffusion model using the radial basis function interpolation scheme," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 161-189, July.
- Stefano Galluccio & Yann Le Cam, 2005. "Implied Calibration of Stochastic Volatility Jump Diffusion Models," Finance 0510028, EconWPA.
- Chen, Z. & Vetzal, K. & Forsyth, P.A., 2008. "The effect of modelling parameters on the value of GMWB guarantees," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 165-173, August.
- Nomikos, Nikos K. & Kyriakou, Ioannis & Papapostolou, Nikos C. & Pouliasis, Panos K., 2013. "Freight options: Price modelling and empirical analysis," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 82-94.
- Carl Chiarella & Andrew Ziogas, 2006. "American Call Options on Jump-Diffusion Processes: A Fourier Transform Approach," Research Paper Series 174, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Windcliff, H. & Forsyth, P.A. & Vetzal, K.R., 2006. "Pricing methods and hedging strategies for volatility derivatives," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 409-431, February.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Hao Xing, 2009. "Pricing American options for jump diffusions by iterating optimal stopping problems for diffusions," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 70(3), pages 505-525, December.
- Farshid Jamshidian, 2004. "Numeraire-invariant option pricing and american, bermudan, trigger stream rollover (v1.6)," Finance 0407015, EconWPA.
- Andrey Itkin, 2014. "High-Order Splitting Methods for Forward PDEs and PIDEs," Papers 1403.1804, arXiv.org.
- Xu, Guoping & Zheng, Harry, 2010. "Basket options valuation for a local volatility jump-diffusion model with the asymptotic expansion method," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 415-422, December.
- H. A. Windcliff & P. A. Forsyth & K. R. Vetzal, 2006. "Numerical Methods and Volatility Models for Valuing Cliquet Options," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 353-386.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.