Fractional diffusion models of option prices in markets with jumps
AbstractMost of the recent literature dealing with the modeling of financial assets assumes that the underlying dynamics of equity prices follow a jump process or a Lévy process. This is done to incorporate rare or extreme events not captured by Gaussian models. Of those financial models proposed, the most interesting include the CGMY, KoBoL and FMLS. All of these capture some of the most important characteristics of the dynamics of stock prices. In this article we show that for these particular Lévy processes, the prices of financial derivatives, such as European-style options, satisfy a fractional partial differential equation (FPDE). As an application, we use numerical techniques to price exotic options, in particular barrier options, by solving the corresponding FPDEs derived.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 374 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Fractional-Black–Scholes; Lévy-stable processes; FMLS; KoBoL; CGMY; Fractional calculus; Riemann–Liouville fractional derivative; Barrier options; Down-and-out; Up-and-out; Double knock-out;
Other versions of this item:
- Alvaro Cartea & Diego del-Castillo-Negrete, 2006. "Fractional Diffusion Models of Option Prices in Markets with Jumps," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0604, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francesco Mainardi & Marco Raberto & Rudolf Gorenflo & Enrico Scalas, 2004.
"Fractional calculus and continuous-time finance II: the waiting- time distribution,"
- Mainardi, Francesco & Raberto, Marco & Gorenflo, Rudolf & Scalas, Enrico, 2000. "Fractional calculus and continuous-time finance II: the waiting-time distribution," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 287(3), pages 468-481.
- Francesco Mainardi & Marco Raberto & Rudolf Gorenflo & Enrico Scalas, 2000. "Fractional calculus and continuous-time finance II: the waiting-time distribution," Papers cond-mat/0006454, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2000.
- Enrico Scalas & Rudolf Gorenflo & Francesco Mainardi, 2000.
"Fractional calculus and continuous-time finance,"
- Scalas, Enrico & Gorenflo, Rudolf & Mainardi, Francesco, 2000. "Fractional calculus and continuous-time finance," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 284(1), pages 376-384.
- Peter Carr & Helyette Geman, 2002. "The Fine Structure of Asset Returns: An Empirical Investigation," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(2), pages 305-332, April.
- Alvaro Cartea, 2005. "Dynamic Hedging of Financial Instruments When the Underlying Follows a Non-Gaussian Process," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0508, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2003.
"The Finite Moment Log Stable Process and Option Pricing,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 753-778, 04.
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2002. "The Finite Moment Log Stable Process and Option Pricing," Finance 0207012, EconWPA.
- Andrey Itkin & Peter Carr, 2012.
"Using Pseudo-Parabolic and Fractional Equations for Option Pricing in Jump Diffusion Models,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 40(1), pages 63-104, June.
- Andrey Itkin & Peter Carr, 2010. "Using pseudo-parabolic and fractional equations for option pricing in jump diffusion models," Papers 1002.1995, arXiv.org.
- Sun, Lin, 2013. "Pricing currency options in the mixed fractional Brownian motion," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(16), pages 3441-3458.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.