A New Poverty Profile For Brazil Using PPV, PNAD And Census Data
AbstractThis paper contains a poverty profile for Brazil, based on 1996 data. Poverty measures and shares are presented for a wide range of population subgroups, based on household level data from the PNAD 1996, adjusted for imputed rents and spatial differences in cost of living. Robustness of the profile is verified with respect to different poverty lines, different spatial price deflators, and different equivalence scales. Overall poverty incidence ranges from 23% with respect to an indigence line (15% for urban areas) to 45% with respect to a more generous poverty line (37% for urban areas). More importantly however, poverty is found to vary significantly across regions and city sizes, with rural areas, small and medium towns and the metropolitan peripheries of the North and Northeast regions being poorest. In addition, education, race and the labor status of the household head are important correlates of vulnerability. The marginal impact of each of these attributes, controlling for all others, is investigated through probit regressions run on PPV data. These confirm the importance of spatial variables, but suggest that education remains the central personal attribute determining the likelihood that a household experiences poverty. Some tentative recommendations to improve the quality of the available data sets are also made.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics] in its series Anais do XXIX Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 29th Brazilian Economics Meeting] with number 100.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Secretaria da ANPEC Rua Tiradentes, 17 - Ingá Niterói, RJ 24210-510 Brazil
Phone: 55 21 2709 7154
Web page: http://www.anpec.org.br
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Secretaria da ANPEC Rua Tiradentes, 17 - Ingá Niterói, RJ 24210-510 Brazil
Other versions of this item:
- Francisco de Hollanda Guimarães Ferreira & Peter Lanjouw & Marcelo Neri, 2000. "A new poverty profile for Brazil using PPV, PNAD and census data," Textos para discussÃ£o 418, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris Elbers & Jean Lanjouw, 2000. "Welfare in Village and Towns: Micro-Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-029/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Ravallion, Martin, 1995.
"Poverty and Household Size,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1415-34, November.
- Deaton, Angus S, 1989. "Looking for Boy-Girl Discrimination in Household Expenditure Data," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 3(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Lanjouw, Jean Olson & Lanjouw, Peter, 1997. "Poverty comparisons with non-compatible data: theory and illustrations," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1709, The World Bank.
- Coulter, Fiona A E & Cowell, Frank A & Jenkins, Stephen P, 1992. "Equivalence Scale Relativities and the Extent of Inequality and Poverty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(414), pages 1067-82, September.
- Francisco H.G. Ferreira & Julie Litchfield, 1996. "Growing Apart: Inequality and Poverty Trends in Brazil in the 1980s," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 23, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Quisumbing, Agnes R. & Haddad, Lawrence James & Peña, Christine, 1995. "Gender and poverty," FCND discussion papers 9, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Hentschel, Jesko & Lanjouw, Jean Olson & Lanjouw, Peter & Poggi, Javier, 1998. "Combining census and survey data to study spatial dimensions of poverty," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1928, The World Bank.
- Ravallion, Martin & Bidani, Benu, 1994.
"How Robust Is a Poverty Profile?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 8(1), pages 75-102, January.
- Neumark, David & Cunningham, Wendy & Siga, Lucas, 2006.
"The effects of the minimum wage in Brazil on the distribution of family incomes: 1996-2001,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 136-159, June.
- David Neumark & Wendy Cunningham & Lucas Siga, 2004. "The Effects of the Minimum Wage in Brazil on the Distribution of Family Incomes: 1996-2001," Working Papers 050627, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Rafael Perez Ribas & Ana Flávia Machado & André Braz Golgher, 2006. "Fluctuations and persistence in poverty: a transient-chronic decomposition model for pseudo-panel data," Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG td290, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Verner, Dorte, 2008. "Labor markets in rural and urban Haiti--based on the first household survey for Haiti," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4574, The World Bank.
- Campos, Roberio Telmo & Campos, Kilmer Coelho, 2008. "Análise Das Medidas De Renda, Distribuição E Pobreza Dos Municípios Da Área De Influência Da Barragem Castanhão Ceará," 46th Congress, July 20-23, 2008, Rio Branco, Acre, Brasil 102219, Sociedade Brasileira de Economia, Administracao e Sociologia Rural (SOBER).
- Kosec, Katrina, 2011. "Politics and preschool : the political economy of investment in pre-primary education," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5647, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2007. "Brazil : Measuring Poverty Using Household Consumption," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8037, The World Bank.
- Fiess, Norbert M. & Verner, Dorte, 2003. "Migration and human capital in Brazil during the 1990s," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3093, The World Bank.
- Francisco de Hollanda Guimarães Ferreira & Peter Lanjouw, 2000. "Rural non-agricultural activities and poverty in the Brazilian northeast," Textos para discussÃ£o 428, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Verner, Dorte, 2008. "Making poor Haitians count--poverty in rural and urban Haiti based on the first household survey for Haiti," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4571, The World Bank.
- François Bourguignon & Francisco de Hollanda Guimarães Ferreira, 2000. "Understanding inequality in Brazil: a conceptual overview," Textos para discussÃ£o 434, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Peter Lanjouw & Marcelo Côrtes Neri, 2003.
"A Robust Poverty Profile for Brazil Using Multiple Data Sources,"
Revista Brasileira de Economia,
FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 57(1), pages 59-92, January.
- Ferreira, Francisco H. G. & Lanjouw, Peter & Neri, Marcelo Cortes, 2002. "A Robust Poverty Profile for Brazil Using Multiple Data Sources," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 444, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- World Bank, 2002. "Brazil : Growth and Poverty Reduction in Pernambuco," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15444, The World Bank.
- Fiess, Norbert M. & Verner, Dorte, 2004. "The dynamics of poverty and its determinants - the case of the Northeast of Brazil and its states," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3259, The World Bank.
- José Márcio Camargo & Francisco de Hollanda Guimarães Ferreira, 2001. "O Benefício Social Único: uma proposta de reforma da política social no Brasil," Textos para discussÃ£o 443, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Rafael Perez Ribas & Ana Flávia Machado, 2007. "Distinguishing Chronic Poverty from Transient Poverty in Brazil: Developing a Model for Pseudo-Panel Data," Working Papers 36, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Helena Cruz Castanheira & Ana Maria Hermeto Camilo de Oliveira, 2008. "Uma Proposta De Identificaçao De Perfis De Condiçoes De Vida Dos Domicílios De Minas Gerais Através Da Pesquisa De Orçamentos Familiares 2002/2003," Anais do XIII Seminário sobre a Economia Mineira [Proceedings of the 13th Seminar on the Economy of Minas Gerais], in: Anais do XIII Seminário sobre a Economia Mineira [Proceedings of the 13th Seminar on the Economy of Minas Gerais] Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hugo E. A. da Gama Cerqueira).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.