Dual Approaches To The Analysis Of Risk Aversion
AbstractDual approaches have proved their value in many areas of economic analysis. Until recently, however, they have been virtually ignored in the analysis of choice under uncertainty.In this paper, we present a dual formulation of choice under uncertainty based on a few simple assumptions about preferences, namely, continuity, monotonicity and convexity of preference sets. Particular emphasis is given to showing that the additive separability restriction, key to expected-utility theory, on preferences can be dropped with little loss of analytic power for a broad class of choice problems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics in its series Working Papers with number 28606.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Risk and Uncertainty;
Other versions of this item:
- Robert G. Chambers & John Quiggin, 2006. "Dual Approaches to the Analysis of Risk Aversion," Risk & Uncertainty Working Papers WPR06_1, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
- Chambers, Robert G & Quiggin, John, 2006. "Dual approaches to the analysis of risk aversion," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 151175, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Milne, Frank, 1979. "Consumer Preferences, Linear Demand Functions and Aggregation in Competitive Asset Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 407-17, July.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00086021 is not listed on IDEAS
- L. Epstein & S. Zin, 2010.
"First order risk aversion and the equity premium puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1400, David K. Levine.
- Epstein, Larry G. & Zin, Stanley E., 1990. "'First-order' risk aversion and the equity premium puzzle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 387-407, December.
- Uzi Segal & Avia Spivak, 1988.
"First Order Versus Second Order Risk Aversion,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
540, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Feder, Gershon, 1977. "The impact of uncertainty in a class of objective functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 504-512, December.
- Quiggin, John & Chambers, Robert G, 1998. "Risk Premiums and Benefit Measures for Generalized-Expected-Utility Theories," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 121-37, November.
- Peleg, Bezalel, 1975. "Efficient random variables," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 243-252.
- Luenberger, David G., 1992. "Benefit functions and duality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 461-481.
- Machina, Mark J, 2001. " Payoff Kinks in Preferences over Lotteries," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 207-60, November.
- Safra, Zvi & Segal, Uzi, 1998. "Constant Risk Aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 19-42, November.
- Robert G. Chambers & Rolf Färe, 1998. "Translation homotheticity," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 629-641.
- Thibault Gajdos & Jean-Marc Tallon & Jean-Christophe Vergnaud, 2002.
"Decision Making with Imprecise Probabilistic Information,"
ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series
18-2003, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research, revised May 2003.
- Gajdos, Thibault & Tallon, Jean-Marc & Vergnaud, Jean-Christophe, 2004. "Decision making with imprecise probabilistic information," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 647-681, September.
- Thibault Gadjos & Jean-Marc Tallon & Jean-Christophe Vergnaud, 2002. "Decision Making with Imprecise Probabilistic Information," Working Papers 2002-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Blackorby, Charles & Donaldson, David, 1980. "A Theoretical Treatment of Indices of Absolute Inequality," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 107-36, February.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1991. "The Rank of Demand Systems: Theory and Nonparametric Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 711-30, May.
- Lwebel Arthur & Perraudin William, 1995. "A Theorem on Portfolio Separation with General Preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 624-626, April.
- Milgrom, Paul, 1994. "Comparing Optima: Do Simplifying Assumptions Affect Conclusions?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(3), pages 607-15, June.
- Gilboa, Itzhak & Schmeidler, David, 1989. "Maxmin expected utility with non-unique prior," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 141-153, April.
- Cass, David & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "The structure of investor preferences and asset returns, and separability in portfolio allocation: A contribution to the pure theory of mutual funds," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 122-160, June.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Brennan, M. J. & Kraus, A., 1976. "The Geometry of Separation and Myopia," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 171-193, June.
- Chambers, Robert G & Quiggin, John, 2004.
"Linear-Risk-Tolerant, Invariant Risk Preferences,"
Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers
151162, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Pedro Macedo & Elvira Silva & Manuel Scotto, 2014. "Technical efficiency with state-contingent production frontiers using maximum entropy estimators," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 131-140, February.
- Robert Chambers & Rolf Färe, 2008. "A “calculus” for data envelopment analysis," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 169-175, December.
- Trino-Manuel Niguez & Ivan Paya & David Peel & Javier Perote, 2013. "Higher-order moments in the theory of diversification and portfolio composition," Working Papers 18297128, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- James Roumasset, 2010.
"Wither The Economics of Agricultural Development?,"
2010-03, University of Hawaii Economic Research Organization, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.