The Economics Of Controlling Insect-Transmitted Plant Diseases
AbstractA framework is developed to analyze a spatially dependent economically significant pest problem emanating from a source and spreading via a carrier such as an insect. Transmission and/or source control to combat the pest or disease problem are explored. Alternative assumptions about the effectiveness of transmission control and the feasibility and costs, both social and private, of reduction of the pest population at the source are examined in an application of the model to controlling Pierce's disease in California wine grapes. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics in its series Working Papers with number 28557.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Cheryl Brown & Lori Lynch & David Zilberman, 2002. "The Economics of Controlling Insect-Transmitted Plant Diseases," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(2), pages 279-291.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lynch, Lori & Brown, Cheryl, 2000. "Landowner Decision Making About Riparian Buffers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(03), December.
- Chakravorty Ujjayant & Hochman Eithan & Zilberman David, 1995. "A Spatial Model of Optimal Water Conveyance," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-41, July.
- Hochman, Eithan & Pines, David & Zilberman, David, 1977. "The Effects of Pollution Taxation on the Pattern of Resource Allocation: The Downstream Diffusion Case," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 91(4), pages 625-38, November.
- Miranowski, John & Cochran, M., 1993. "Economics of Land in Agriculture," Staff General Research Papers 10722, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Romano, Eduardo & Thornsbury, Suzanne, 2007. "Economic Evaluation of SPS Regulations: Where Can Progress be Made?," Staff Papers 36946, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Olson, Lars J. & Roy, Santanu, 2003. "The Economics Of Controlling A Biological Invasion," Working Papers 28591, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Finnoff, David & Potapov, Alexei & Lewis, Mark A., 2010. "Control and the management of a spreading invader," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 534-550, November.
- Carter, Colin A. & Chalfant, James A. & Goodhue, Rachael E., 2004. "Invasive Species In Agriculture: A Rising Concern," Western Economics Forum, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 3(02), December.
- Haight, Robert G. & Polasky, Stephen, 2010. "Optimal control of an invasive species with imperfect information about the level of infestation," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 519-533, November.
- Atallah, Shady S. & Gómez, Miguel I. & Conrad, Jon M., 2013. "A Bioeconomic Model of Plant Disease Management under Spatial-Dynamic Externalities: Grapevine Leafroll Disease," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 151144, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Fuller, Kate B. & Alston, Julian M. & Sanchirico, James N., 2011. "Spatial Externalities and Vector-Borne Plant Diseases: Pierce’s Disease and the Blue-Green Sharpshooter in the Napa Valley," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103865, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Lichtenberg, Erik & Lynch, Lori, 2006. "Exotic Pests and Trade: When Is Pest-Free Status Certification Worthwhile?," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 35(1), April.
- Heikkila, Jaakko, 2006. "Economics of invasive alien species: pre-emptive versus reactive control," Discussion Papers 11865, MTT Agrifood Research Finland.
- Olson, Lars J., 2006. "The Economics of Terrestrial Invasive Species: A Review of the Literature," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 35(1), April.
- Ceddia, M.G. & Heikkil, J. & Peltola, J., 2009. "Managing invasive alien species with professional and hobby farmers: Insights from ecological-economic modelling," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(5), pages 1366-1374, March.
- Zhang, Wei & van der Werf, Wopke & Swinton, Scott M., 2010. "Spatially optimal habitat management for enhancing natural control of an invasive agricultural pest: Soybean aphid," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 551-565, November.
- Liu, Yanxu & Sims, Charles, 2013. "Spatial-Dynamic Externalities and Coordination in Invasive Species Control," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 151293, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Lybbert, Travis J. & Magnan, Nicholas & Gubler, W. Douglas, 2010. "Powdery Mildew Risk And Forecasting In Wine Grapes: Do Growers Change Risk Management Strategies In Response To Disease Forecasts?," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61745, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Grogan, Kelly A., 2013. "When Ignorance Is Not Bliss: Pest Control Decisions Involving Beneficial Insects," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149610, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Alston, Julian M. & Fuller, Kate & Kaplan, Jonathan & Tumber, Kabir, 2013. "The Costs and Benefits of Pierce’s Disease Research in the California Winegrape Industry," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149994, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Albers, Heidi J. & Fischer, Carolyn & Sanchirico, James N., 2010. "Invasive species management in a spatially heterogeneous world: Effects of uniform policies," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 483-499, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.