Broiler Farms' Organization, Management, and Performance
AbstractThis study provides a comprehensive view of the organization, management, and financial performance of U.S. broiler farms. Using data from USDA's Agricultural Resource Management Study (ARMS, formerly known as the Farm Costs and Returns Survey), we examine farm size, financial structure, household income, management practices, and spousal participation in decision-making. We compare broiler operations with other farming enterprises and their earnings with that of the average U.S. household. Because most of the 7 billion broilers produced in the United States in 1995 were raised under contract, we also explore the use of contracts and the effects of contracting on the broiler sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service in its series Agricultural Information Bulletins with number 33739.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
contracting; broilers; poultry; farm characteristics; farm income; farm operator characteristics; risk management strategies; Livestock Production/Industries;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul, Allen B., 1974. "The Role of Competitive Market Institutions," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 2.
- Ahearn, Mary Clare & Korb, Penelope J. & Banker, David E., 2005. "Industrialization and Contracting in U.S. Agriculture," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(02), August.
- Hegde, S. Aaron & Vukina, Tomislav, 2003. "Risk Sharing in Broiler Contracts: A Welfare Comparison of Payment Mechanisms," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22171, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sureshwaran, Suresh & House, Lisa & Hanks, Gwen & Little, Randall D., 2001. "Carolina Golden Products," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 32(02), July.
- Dimitri, Carolyn & Jaenicke, Edward C., 2001. "Cash Market Or Contract? How Technology And Consumer Demand Influence The Decision," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20723, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Zahniser, Steven & Hoppe, Robert A. & Johnson, James D. & Banker, David E., 2002. "Structural Change In An Era Of Increased Openness: A Background Paper On The Structure Of U.S. Agriculture," Structural Change as a Source of Trade Disputes Under NAFTA; Proceedings of the 7th Agricultural and Food Policy Systems Information Workshop - 2001 16872, Farm Foundation, Agricultural and Food Policy Systems Information Workshops.
- Wang, Yanguo & Jaenicke, Edward C., 2004. "Static And Dynamic Efficiency Of Pooled Broiler Contracts: Relative-Performance Contracts Vs. Fixed-Performance Contracts," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20406, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hueth, Brent & Ligon, Ethan & Dimitri, Carolyn, 2007. "AJAE Appendix: Agricultural Contracts: Data and Research Needs," American Journal of Agricultural Economics Appendices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(5), December.
- Poray, Michael C. & Gray, Allan W. & Boehlje, Michael & Preckel, Paul V., 2003. "Evaluation of Alternative Coordination Systems Between Producers and Packers in the Pork Value Chain," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 6(02).
- Young, Linda M. & Hobbs, Jill E., 2000. "Public Policy Responses To Increased Vertical Linkages In Agri-Food Supply Chains," Trade Research Center Research Discussion Papers 29237, Montana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Economics.
- Elanor Starmer, Aimee Witteman and Timothy A. Wise, . "06-03 "Feeding the Factory Farm: Implicit Subsidies to the Broiler Chicken Industry"," GDAE Working Papers 06-03, GDAE, Tufts University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.