Assessing the potential impact of strengthening food safety regulations on developing countries: The US Food Safety and Modernization Act
AbstractThis paper’s goal is to assess the extent to which producers in Developing Countries have coped stricter US food safety regulations. We approach the question by calculating refusals/imports ratios and their trends for a sample of Developing Countries. We conclude there is a learning process in low value added products.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama with number 119711.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
food safety; traceability; value chain analysis; trade; Latin America and the Caribbean; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety; International Development; International Relations/Trade;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-08 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Winnie Mitullah, 2000. "Food Safety Requirements and Food Exports from Developing Countries: The Case of Fish Exports from Kenya to the European Union," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1159-1169.
- Aksoy, M. Ataman & Beghin, John C., 2005.
"Global Agricultural Trade and Developing Countries,"
Staff General Research Papers
12228, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- M. Ataman Aksoy & John C. Beghin, 2005. "Global Agricultural Trade and Developing Countries," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7464, October.
- Bardhan, Pranab & Udry, Christopher, 1999. "Development Microeconomics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198773719.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.