Commodity Linked Credit: A Risk Management Instrument for the Agrarians in India
AbstractThis research analyzes daily commodity spot prices and designs risk contingent structured financial instruments as a means to mitigate business and financial risk by reducing debt obligations depending on the embedded commodity options whose payoffs are linked with commodity price fluctuations. Models are developed for operating loans and farm mortgages. The results show that the distributions with the embedded option have higher probability of greater returns and the embedded option with the repayment contingent on the price fluctuation reduces the downside risk of the return from the investment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition in its series Proceedings: 2007 Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition, October 4-5, 2007, St. Louis, Missouri with number 48139.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.agfin.ifas.ufl.edu/
Agricultural Finance; Risk and Uncertainty;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ags:nc2006:133091 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rajan, Raghuram, 1988. "Pricing commodity bonds using binomial option pricing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 136, The World Bank.
- Calum G. Turvey, 2006. "Managing food industry business and financial risks with commodity-linked credit instruments," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 523-545.
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Jonathan Morduch, 2007. "The Economics of Microfinance," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512017, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.