Bond pricing in a hidden Markov model of the short rate
AbstractWe consider a diffusion type model for the short rate, where the drift and diffusion parameters are modulated by an underlying Markov process. The underlying Markov process is assumed to have a stochastic differential driven by Wiener processes and a marked point process. The model for the short rate thus falls within the category of hidden Markov models. For this model we look at the bond pricing problem. In order to obtain more concrete results we introduce the notion of a semi-affine term structure and give sufficient conditions for the existence of such a term structure. For a special case, when the underlying process is a Markov chain with only two states, we obtain a closed form expression for bond prices. Furthermore we consider the pricing problem when the modulating process can not be directly observed. It turns out that pricing in this context may be viewed as a filtering problem.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Finance and Stochastics.
Volume (Year): 4 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Note: received: November 1998; final version received: June 1999
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/content/101164/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Driffill, John & Kenc, Turalay & Sola, Martin & Spagnolo, Fabio, 2004.
"On Model Selection and Markov Switching: A Empirical Examination of Term Structure Models with Regime Shifts,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4165, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John Driffill & Turalay Kenc & Martin Sola & Fabio Spagnolo, 2008. "On Model Selection and Markov-Switching: An Empirical Examination of Term Structure Models with Regime Shifts," Department of Economics Working Papers 2008-04, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Dai, Qiang & Singleton, Kenneth J., 2003. "Fixed-income pricing," Handbook of the Economics of Finance, in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 20, pages 1207-1246 Elsevier.
- Andrew Ang & Geert Bekaert, 2004.
"The term structure of real rates and expected inflation,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Andrew Ang & Geert Bekaert & Min Wei, 2008. "The Term Structure of Real Rates and Expected Inflation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(2), pages 797-849, 04.
- Ang, Andrew & Bekaert, Geert, 2004. "The Term Structure of Real Rates and Expected Inflation," CEPR Discussion Papers 4518, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew Ang & Geert Bekaert & Min Wei, 2007. "The Term Structure of Real Rates and Expected Inflation," NBER Working Papers 12930, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wu, Shu & Zeng, Yong, 2006.
"The term structure of interest rates under regime shifts and jumps,"
Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 215-221, November.
- Shu Wu & Yong Zeng, 2005. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates under Regime Shifts and Jumps," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200520, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Oct 2005.
- Eckhard Platen & Wolfgang Runggaldier, 2007.
"A Benchmark Approach to Portfolio Optimization under Partial Information,"
Research Paper Series
191, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Eckhard Platen & Wolfgang Runggaldier, 2007. "A Benchmark Approach to Portfolio Optimization under Partial Information," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 25-43, March.
- Robert J. Elliott & Katsumasa Nishide, 2013. "Pricing of Discount Bonds with a Markov Switching Regime," KIER Working Papers 859, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Hidenori Futami, 2009. "Multi-factor Affine Term Structure Model with Single Regime Shift: Real Term Structure under Zero Interest Rate," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 347-369, December.
- Qiang Dai & Kenneth J. Singleton & Wei Yang, 2004. "Regime shifts in a dynamic term structure model of U.S. Treasury bond yields," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Eckhard Platen & Wolfgang Runggaldier, 2002.
"A Benchmark Approach to Filtering in Finance,"
Research Paper Series
77, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Hoi Wong & Tsz Wong, 2007. "Reduced-form Models with Regime Switching: An Empirical Analysis for Corporate Bonds," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 229-253, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.