Agricultural Adjustment And The Diversification Of Farm Households In Central Europe
AbstractSurvey evidence from three Central European Countries (Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland) is analysed to identify the degree of non-agricultural farm diversification and the factors facilitating or impeding it in individual farms. The effect of diversification on rural job creation is investigated. The results indicate that the level of diversification is relatively small and enterprise diversification by farmers is unlikely to generate sufficient new jobs and solve the problem of high rural unemployment. The attempt to transpose the Western European model of agricultural diversification to the acceding countries via the SAPARD programme is questionable, as non-farm centric rural policies appear to be more appropriate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa with number 25843.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Farm households; non-agricultural diversification; job creation; Central Europe; Consumer/Household Economics;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huffman, Wallace, 1980.
"Farm and Off-Farm Work Decisions: The Role of Human Capital,"
Staff General Research Papers
10973, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Huffman, Wallace E, 1980. "Farm and Off-Farm Work Decisions: The Role of Human Capital," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(1), pages 14-23, February.
- Ashok K. Mishra & Barry K. Goodwin, 1997. "Farm Income Variability and the Supply of Off-Farm Labor," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 880-887.
- Glauben, Thomas & Herzfeld, Thomas & Wang, Xiaobing, 2006.
"The Dynamics of Chinese Rural Households' Participation in Labor Markets,"
2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia
25751, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Stephan Brosig & Thomas Glauben & Thomas Herzfeld & Scott Rozelle & Xiaobing Wang, 2007. "The dynamics of Chinese rural households' participation in labor markets," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(2-3), pages 167-178, 09.
- Hannah Chaplin & Sophia Davidova & Matthew Gorton, 2005.
"Impediments to Employment and Enterprise Diversification: evidence from small-scale farms in Poland,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Chaplin, Hannah & Davidova, Sophia & Gorton, Matthew, 2005. "Impediments to Employment and Enterprise Diversification: Evidence from Small-Scale Farms in Poland," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24760, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bachev, Hrabrin, 2012. "Farm diversification and market inclusion in East Europe and Central Asia," MPRA Paper 38683, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schnicke, Hauke Joachim & Happe, Kathrin & Sahrbacher, Christoph & Kellermann, Konrad, 2008. "Exploring The Role Of Succession Patterns In Central And Eastern European'S Dualistic Farm Structures," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6668, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Pilar, Ladislav & Pokorna, J. & Balcarova, T. & Hron, Jan, 2012. "Factors Determining the Entry of Agricultural Farms into Agritourism," AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, Faculty of Economics and Management, vol. 4(4), December.
- Falkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawinski, Pawel, 2013.
"Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland,"
Factor Markets Working Papers
178, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Jan Fałkowski & Maciej Jakubowski & Paweł Strawiński, 2011. "Returns from income strategies in rural Poland," Working Papers 2011-05, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Falkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawinski, Pawel, 2011. "Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114364, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fritzsch, Jana, 2011. "A Composite Fuzzy Indicator for Assessing Farm Household Potential for Non-farm Income Diversification," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114349, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Wang, Xiaobing, 2007. "Labor market behavior of Chinese rural households during transition," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 42, number 92321, July.
- Zvyagintsev, Dmitry & Shick, Olga & Serova, Eugenia & Lerman, Zvi, 2007. "Diversification of rural incomes and non-farm rural employment: evidence from Russia," 104th Seminar, September 5-8, 2007, Budapest, Hungary 7846, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.