Estimating the Degree of Buyers' Market Power: Evidence from the Ukrainian Meat Processing Industry
AbstractThis study develops a structural market model for the econometric analysis of buyers’ market power in the Ukrainian meat processing industry, because there is some evidence that suggests that meat processors may excise market power in the agricultural market of slaughtered livestock. The estimation results did not produce any evidence suggesting the existence of buyers’ market power. Contrary to many other NEIO-studies, we extended the market structure market model by the three subsequent models. Using endogenously determined values for market power parameter, we found that meat processors concerning the buyers’ market for slaughtered livestock behave consistently with Cournot conjectures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland with number 114782.
Date of creation: 02 Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Cournot competition; market power; meat processing industry; new empirical industrial organisation (NEIO); Ukraine; Livestock Production/Industries; Marketing;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2011-10-15 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2011-10-15 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catherine J. Morrison Paul, 2001. "Market and Cost Structure in the U.S. Beef Packing Industry: A Plant-Level Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 64-76.
- Perloff,Jeffrey M. & Karp,Larry S. & Golan,Amos, 2007.
"Estimating Market Power and Strategies,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521804400, November.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr, 2007.
"Marktstruktur und Preisbildung auf dem ukrainischen Markt für Rohmilch,"
Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe,
Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 41, number 92322.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr, 2007.
"Marktstruktur und Preisbildung auf dem ukrainischen Markt für Rohmilch
[Market structure and pricing on the Ukrainian market for raw milk]," MPRA Paper 21958, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr, 2007. "Marktstruktur und Preisbildung auf dem ukrainischen Markt für Rohmilch
- A. M. Azzam & E. Pagoulatos, 1990. "Testing Oligopolistic And Oligopsonistic Behaviour: An Application To The Us Meat-Packing Industry," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 362-370.
- Corts, Kenneth S., 1998. "Conduct parameters and the measurement of market power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 227-250, November.
- Lajos ZoltÃ¡n Bakucs & Imre FertÅ & Heinrich Hockmann & Oleksandr Perekhozhuk, 2010. "Estimating Oligopsony Power in the Hungarian Market for Slaughter Hogs," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(1), pages 64-78, January.
- Ospina, Enrique & Shumway, C. Richard, 1979. "Disaggregated Analysis Of Short-Run Beef Supply Response," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 4(02), December.
- Richard J. Sexton & Ian Sheldon & Steve McCorriston & Humei Wang, 2007. "Agricultural trade liberalization and economic development: the role of downstream market power," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(2), pages 253-270, 03.
- Sven Anders, 2008. "Imperfect Competition in German Food Retailing: Evidence from State Level Data," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 36(4), pages 441-454, December.
- Muth, Mary K. & Wohlgenant, Michael K., 1999. "Measuring The Degree Of Oligopsony Power In The Beef Packing Industry In The Absence Of Marketing Input Quantity Data," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.