Regional aspects of decision-making support for rural development in Poland
AbstractMeasures for rural development should be adapted to the specific regional conditions and national programs should allow for different regional priorities. However, decision-making for policy measures often takes place under special conditions with many concerned actors, unstructured decision problems and time pressure. These conditions, decision-makers in administrations and institutions are faced with, make the formation of policy-measures for rural development a complex matter. Thus, there is the question arising how decision-makers can be supported in setting priorities for allocating budgets for policy measures among regions. Recently, multi criteria decision-making approaches are discussed to tackle these kinds of decision problems. We show exemplarily for the Polish program of rural development, how decision-making could be supported using a multi-objective programming approach. Different preferences of actors can be considered explicitly by visualizing “trade-offs” and an interactive use of the approach. For example, a political "equity" objective is implemented as a constraint in the programming approach, restricting the budget differences between regions to a defined level. By a parameterization of the bound for budget differences, the "trade-off" between three objectives is displayed and evaluated. Using the exemplary programming approach, it is shown that the objective values of the two main objectives of the PROW decline, when the budget differences between regions are restricted for pursuing a political "equity" objective.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium with number 43845.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Regional Budgeting; Interactive Decision-making support; Multi-objective Programming (MOP); Community/Rural/Urban Development;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ramon Caminal, 2003.
"Personal Redistribution and the Regional Allocation of Public Investment,"
5, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Caminal, Ramon, 2004. "Personal redistribution and the regional allocation of public investment," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 55-69, January.
- Caminal, Ramón, 2000. "Personal Redistribution and the Regional Allocation of Public Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 2627, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ramon Caminal, 2002. "Personal redistribution and the regional allocation of public investment," UFAE and IAE Working Papers, Unitat de Fonaments de l'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (UAB) and Institut d'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (CSIC) 526.02, Unitat de Fonaments de l'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (UAB) and Institut d'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (CSIC).
- Fuest, Clemens & Huber, Bernd, 2006. "Can regional policy in a federation improve economic efficiency?," Munich Reprints in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics 20331, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Kaliszewski, Ignacy, 2004. "Out of the mist--towards decision-maker-friendly multiple criteria decision making support," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 158(2), pages 293-307, October.
- Munda, Giuseppe, 2004. "Social multi-criteria evaluation: Methodological foundations and operational consequences," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 158(3), pages 662-677, November.
- Baum, Sabine & Trapp, Christian & Weingarten, Peter, 2004. "Typology of rural areas in the Central and Eastern European EU new member States," IAMO Discussion Papers 72, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Baum, Sabine & Weingarten, Peter, 2004. "Interregionale Disparitäten und Entwicklung ländlicher Räume als regionalpolitische Herausforderung für die neuen EU-Mitgliedstaaten," IAMO Discussion Papers 61, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Fuest, Clemens & Huber, Bernd, 2006. "Can regional policy in a federation improve economic efficiency?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 499-511, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.