Construction and Application of an LP Farm Model with an Integrated Life Cycle Assessment for the Determination of Sustainable Milk Production Systems
AbstractThe increasingly stringent conditions underlying Swiss dairy production demand sustainable milk production systems that are economically optimized but also meet the ecological requirements of society. To determine such systems, a comparative-static LP model was constructed at farm level. Realistic production systems are reproduced in the model by means of binary variables. An Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) was integrated into the model to determine the environmental impacts of the farm. To this effect, the internal farm influences on production are illustrated in detail. An initial application of the model, in which a comparison of different income-optimized production systems was carried out, revealed some goal conflicts between economics and ecology. Systems involving full-time grazing achieved the best results in both aspects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark with number 24714.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Life Cycle Assessment (LCA); LP-model; dairy production; production system; Livestock Production/Industries; C61; Q12; Q51;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rigby, Dan & Young, Trevor, 1996. "European Environmental Regulations to Reduce Water Pollution: An Analysis of Their Impact on UK Dairy Farms," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(1), pages 59-78.
- Beth Allen, 2000. "The Future of Microeconomic Theory," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(1), pages 143-150, Winter.
- Zimmermann, Albert, 2008. "Combination of the Swiss agrarian sector model SILAS-dyn with the life cycle assessment tool SALCA," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6603, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.