Food Safety Standards and Export Competitiveness in the Food and Processed Food Industries in Asia-Pacific Countries
AbstractDeveloping country producers face several constraints related to food safety standards imposed by developed countries. The purpose of this study is to identify factors affecting export flows with respect to food safety standards; and to measure the effects of food safety standards on exports. This study incorporates a food safety variable in a gravity model. The analysis uses aggregate data for bilateral exports of processed food products, and data for factors affecting bilateral export flows for 17 years on 16 OECD and Asia-Pacific countries. The results show that food product exports are negatively affected by aflatoxin standards. A one percent increase in food safety standards decrease exports by approximately one percent. This means that large changes in food standards (which are common these days) will have salutary, deleterious impacts on food exports by developing countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 103rd Seminar, April 23-25, 2007, Barcelona, Spain with number 9399.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety; International Relations/Trade;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
NBER Working Papers
8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-16, March.
- Otsuki, Tsunehiro & Wilson, John S. & Sewadeh, Mirvat, 2001. "Saving two in a billion: : quantifying the trade effect of European food safety standards on African exports," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 495-514, October.
- Li, Yuan & Beghin, John C., 2012.
"A meta-analysis of estimates of the impact of technical barriers to trade,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 497-511.
- Li, Yuan & Beghin, John C., 2010. "A Meta-Analysis of Estimates of the Impact of Technical Barriers to Trade," Staff General Research Papers 31968, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Melo, Oscar & Engler, Alejandra & Nahuelhual, Laura & Cofre, Gabriela & Barrena, Jose, 2012. "Does Sanitary and Phytosanitary regulation stringency affect developing countries exports? Evidence from Chilean fruit exports," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 125298, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.