Analysis Of Integration Between Queensland Feed And Malting Barley Markets
AbstractBarley can be differentiated into feed and malting barley based on its end-use markets. Substitutability both in supply and in demand complicates analysis of price information in the barley market. The paper examines the price linkages between feed and malting barley in the Queensland barley market by using cointegration and error correction models. Malting barley prices respond to restore equilibrium relationships with corresponding feed barley prices in the long run, but not vice versa. Thus there appears to be a price leadership role for feed barley, and one-way substitutability and quality differences in the barley market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its series 2000 Conference (44th), January 23-25, 2000, Sydney, Australia with number 123649.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Barley; Cointegration; Substitutability; Quality; Demand and Price Analysis; Marketing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Diakosavvas, Dimitris, 1995. "How integrated are world beef markets? The case of Australian and U.S. beef markets," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 37-53, April.
- Gunawardana, P.J. & Kidane, Habtom & Kulendran, N., 1995. "Export Supply Response Of The Australian Citrus Industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 39(03), December.
- Taylor, Earl L. & Bessler, David A. & Waller, Mark L. & Rister, M. Edward, 1996. "Dynamic relationships between US and Thai rice prices," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 123-133, July.
- P.J. Gunawardana & Habtom Kidane & N. Kulendran, 1995. "Export Supply Response Of The Australian Citrus Industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 39(3), pages 247-261, December.
- Christopher B. Barrett, 1996. "Market Analysis Methods: Are Our Enriched Toolkits Well Suited to Enlivened Markets?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 825-829.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.