Incidence of Agro-Climate Variability over Grass-Fed Cattle Markets
AbstractThe marginal contribution of each of the selected variables was quantified in terms of premiums and discounts and mapped as dynamic iso-price regions that illustrate geographic and seasonal permanent price patterns for feeder cattle, as well as changing market conditions derived from unexpected climate and weather variability. The graphic representation of how price patterns may change with climate variability allows for a better understanding of short term market disequilibrium derived from this type of variability. This may help cattle operators and producers improve farm management and making informed decisions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado with number 61182.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
cattle prices; climate variability; agro-ecological conditions; seasonal effects; price formation; differentiated products; Demand and Price Analysis; Livestock Production/Industries;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dhuyvetter, Kevin C. & Schroeder, Ted C., 1999. "Determinants Of Feeder Cattle Price-Weight Slides," 1999 Annual Meeting, July 11-14, 1999, Fargo, ND 35679, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Bailey, DeeVon & Peterson, Monte C., 1991. "A Comparison Of Pricing Structures At Video And Traditional Cattle Auctions," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(02), December.
- Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 2004. "Preconditioning Beef Calves: Are Expected Premiums Sufficient To Justify The Practice?," 2004 Annual Meeting, June 30-July 2, 2004, Honolulu, Hawaii 36196, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Avent, R. Keith & Ward, Clement E. & Lalman, David L., 2004. "Market Valuation of Preconditioning Feeder Calves," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.