Spatial and Temporal On-Farm Risk Management - Crop Production Scheduling and Index Insurance Strategies
AbstractAn agronomic crop growth model, Decision Support System for Agro-Technology Transfer (DSSAT), is used to find optimal crop management strategies for cotton production in Mitchell, Miller, and Lee Counties in Georgia during the past 10 years. Planting date and irrigation threshold are the two variables optimized to maximize farmer's expected utility. A decreasing absolute risk aversion - constant relative risk aversion (DARA-CRRA) utility function is used to examine crop management decision that can be influenced by changes in inter-temporal risk behavior. Comparison is made from management perspective - one is dynamic crop management strategy that varies each year; one is static (constant) strategy over 10 years. Based on the best crop management strategies, index insurance products are designed to help farmers further reduce production risk. The impact of geographical basis risk was assessed by comparing the risk reduction generated from index insurance contracts based on different weather stations; the impact of temporal basis risk is assessed by allowing separate contracts to be purchased for different sub-periods during the entire period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin with number 49350.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Irrigation; Planting Date; Risk Management; Weather Derivative Contract; Basis Risk; Agribusiness; Agricultural Finance; Crop Production/Industries; Farm Management; Financial Economics; Risk and Uncertainty;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2009-05-16 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-05-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-IAS-2009-05-16 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2009-05-16 (Risk Management)
- NEP-UPT-2009-05-16 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Skees, Jerry & Gober, Stephanie & Varangis, Panos & Lester, Rodney & Kalavakonda, Vijay, 2001. "Developing rainfall-based index insurance in Morocco," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2577, The World Bank.
- Schnitkey, Gary D. & Sherrick, Bruce J. & Irwin, Scott H., 2002.
"Evaluation Of Risk Reductions Associated With Multi-Periol Crop Insurance Products,"
2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA
19778, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Schnitkey, Gary D. & Sherrick, Bruce J. & Irwin, Scott H., 2002. "Evaluation of Risk Reductions Associated with Multi-Peril Crop Insurance Products," Proceedings: 2002 Regional Committee NC-221, October 7-8, 2002, Denver, Colorado 132375, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Escalante, Cesar L. & Rejesus, Roderick M., 2005. "Farmland Control Decisions under Different Intertemporal Risk Behavioral Constructs," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19113, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mario Miranda & Dmitry V. Vedenov, 2001. "Innovations in Agricultural and Natural Disaster Insurance," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 650-655.
- Martin, Steven W. & Barnett, Barry J. & Coble, Keith H., 2001. "Developing And Pricing Precipitation Insurance," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Olivier Mahul, 2001. "Optimal Insurance Against Climatic Experience," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 593-604.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Manfredo, Mark R. & Sanders, Dwight R., 2004. "Pricing Weather Derivatives," Working Papers 28536, Arizona State University, Morrison School of Agribusiness and Resource Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.