Evaluation Of Risk Reductions Associated With Multi-Periol Crop Insurance Products
AbstractThis research examines risk-return tradeoffs across a full range of crop insurance products and coverage levels. Results indicate that farm-level products reduce risk for low probability events, but that risk reductions often are not large for events that occur with more regularity. Risk reductions vary with yield variability; with counties that have higher yield variability also experiencing greater risk reductions through the use of crop insurance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA with number 19778.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Risk and Uncertainty;
Other versions of this item:
- Schnitkey, Gary D. & Sherrick, Bruce J. & Irwin, Scott H., 2002. "Evaluation of Risk Reductions Associated with Multi-Peril Crop Insurance Products," Proceedings: 2002 Regional Committee NC-221, October 7-8, 2002, Denver, Colorado 132375, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chad E. Hart & Bruce A. Babcock, 2001. "Rankings of Risk Management Strategies Combining Crop Insurance Products and Marketing Positions," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 01-wp267, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Coble, Keith H. & Heifner, Richard G. & Zuniga, Manuel, 2000. "Implications Of Crop Yield And Revenue Insurance For Producer Hedging," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(02), December.
- Steven D. Hanson & Robert J. Myers & J. Roy Black, 1998. "The Effects of Crop Yield Insurance Designs on Farmer Participation and Welfare," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 806-820.
- Goodwin, Barry K., 1994. "Premium Rate Determination In The Federal Crop Insurance Program: What Do Averages Have To Say About Risk?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
- Alan P. Ker & Barry K. Goodwin, 2000. "Nonparametric Estimation of Crop Insurance Rates Revisited," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 463-478.
- Lin, Shanshan & Mullen, Jeffrey D. & Hoogenboom, Gerrit, 2009. "Spatial and Temporal On-Farm Risk Management - Crop Production Scheduling and Index Insurance Strategies," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49350, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Vedenov, Dmitry V. & Barnett, Barry J., 2004. "Efficiency of Weather Derivatives as Primary Crop Insurance Instruments," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(03), December.
- Heidelbach, Olaf, 2006. "Efficiency of Selected Risk Management Instruments - An Empirical Analysis of Risk Reduction in Kazakhstani Crop Production," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25243, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Carriazo, Fernando & Claassen, Roger & Cooper, Joseph C., 2009. "Crop Insurance, Disaster Payments, and Incentives for Land Use Change in Agriculture: A Preliminary Assessment," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49218, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Shaik, Saleem & Coble, Keith H. & Hudson, Darren & Miller, James C. & Hanson, Terrill R. & Sempier, Stephen H., 2008. "Willingness to Pay for a Potential Insurance Policy: Case Study of Trout Aquaculture," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 37(1), April.
- Heidelbach, Olaf, 2007. "Efficiency of selected risk management instruments: An empirical analysis of risk reduction in Kazakhstani crop production," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 40, number 92323.
- Vedenov, Dmitry V. & Power, Gabriel J., 2008. "Risk-Reducing Effectiveness of Revenue versus Yield Insurance in the Presence of Government Payments," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(02), August.
- Vedenov, Dmitry V., 2008. "Application of Copulas to Estimation of Joint Crop Yield Distributions," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6264, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Lin, Shanshan & Mullen, Jeffrey D. & Hoogenboom, Gerrit, 2008. "Farm-Level Risk Management Using Irrigation and Weather Derivatives," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(02), August.
- Novak, James L. & Nadolnyak, Denis A. & McNider, Richard, 2008. "Analysis of Irrigated Corn Production Adoption Decisions in Alabama," 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas 6756, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.