The Effects of Crop Yield Insurance Designs on Farmer Participation and Welfare
AbstractThe performance of individual farm yield and area yield crop insurance programs is evaluated for a representative Iowa corn farm using numerical optimization of expected utility and simulation techniques. Several different contract design features are studied, including the nature of the yield index which triggers insurance payouts, alternative restrictions on coverage levels, and alternative pricing structures. Performance is evaluated in terms of impacts on farmer participation and welfare and is examined in a portfolio setting where futures and options are also available to farmers. The relative performance of different crop insurance designs is found to be particularly sensitive to restrictions on coverage levels, the size of premium loadings, and the degree to which individual farm yields are correlated with area yields. Copyright 1998, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 80 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Schnitkey, Gary D. & Sherrick, Bruce J. & Irwin, Scott H., 2002.
"Evaluation of Risk Reductions Associated with Multi-Peril Crop Insurance Products,"
Proceedings: 2002 Regional Committee NC-221, October 7-8, 2002, Denver, Colorado
132375, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Schnitkey, Gary D. & Sherrick, Bruce J. & Irwin, Scott H., 2002. "Evaluation Of Risk Reductions Associated With Multi-Periol Crop Insurance Products," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19778, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Barry Smit & Mark Skinner, 2002. "Adaptation options in agriculture to climate change: a typology," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 85-114, March.
- Berg, Ernst, 2002. "Assessing the Farm Level Impacts of Yield and Revenue Insurance: an Expected Value-Variance Approach," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24834, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lai, Jing-Yi & Myers, Robert J. & Hanson, Steven D., 2003. "Optimal On-Farm Grain Storage by Risk-Averse Farmers," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(03), December.
- Murray-Prior, Roy B. & Wright, Vic, 2001. "Influence of strategies and heuristics on farmers’ response to change under uncertainty," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 45(4), December.
- Wang, H. Holly & Zhang, Hao, 2002. "Using The Spatial Statistics Approach To Analyze Yield Risk Pooling In The Us," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19633, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Murray-Prior, Roy B. & Wright, Vic, 2004. "Use of strategies and decision rules by Australian wool producers to manage uncertainty," AFBM Journal, Australasian Farm Business Management Network, vol. 1.
- Barnett, Barry J. & Barrett, Christopher B. & Skees, Jerry R., 2008. "Poverty Traps and Index-Based Risk Transfer Products," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1766-1785, October.
- Lai, Jing-Yi & Myers, Robert J. & Hanson, Steven D., 2001. "Optimal Post-Harvest Grains Storage By Risk Averse Farmers," Staff Papers 11739, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Novak, James L. & Nadolnyak, Denis A. & McNider, Richard, 2008. "Analysis of Irrigated Corn Production Adoption Decisions in Alabama," 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas 6756, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- M J Bhende, 2012. "Agricultural Insurance in India: Problems and Prospects," Working Papers id:4840, eSocialSciences.
- Coble, Keith H. & Zuniga, Manuel & Heifner, Richard, 2003. "Evaluation of the interaction of risk management tools for cotton and soybeans," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 75(2-3), pages 323-340.
- Milton Boyd & Jeffrey Pai & Qiao Zhang & H. Holly Wang & Ke Wang, 2011. "Factors affecting crop insurance purchases in China: the Inner Mongolia region," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(4), pages 441-450, November.
- Zanini, Fabio C. & Irwin, Scott H. & Schnitkey, Gary D. & Sherrick, Bruce J., 2000. "Estimating Farm-Level Yield Distributions For Corn And Soybeans In Illinois," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21720, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Wang, Yang & Barnett, Barry J. & Coble, Keith H. & Harri, Ardian, 2012. "Yield Aggregation Impacts on a “Deep Loss” Systemic Risk Protection Program," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124875, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Wang, H. Holly & Du, Wen, 2005. "Intertemporal Risk Management Decisions of Farmers under Preference, Market, and Policy Dynamics," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19526, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kellner, Ulla & Musshoff, Oliver, 2011. "Precipitation or water capacity indices? An analysis of the benefits of alternative underlyings for index insurance," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 104(8), pages 645-653, October.
- Colson, Gregory & Fu, Shengfei & Ramirez, Octavio A., 2012. "Crop Insurance Savings Accounts," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124739, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.